Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski binding for mountaineering boot ID?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski binding for mountaineering boot ID?

Postby shearmodulus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Gang -

On my way back from Gothic this weekend, I ran into a guy with a ski binding setup that enabled him to use his mountaineering boots in an AT setup.

I'm about 99% sure they weren't a Silveretta binding as they don't look anything like the 404 or 500. I took a closeup pic.

DSC_5175.JPG
DSC_5175.JPG (236.01 KiB) Viewed 855 times

Any guesses?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Re: Ski binding for mountaineering boot ID?

Postby schrund » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby TomPierce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Those are Ramer bindings.I have a pair and still use them. Gasp! I know, heresy...something that's off the market, low tech, etc. But IMHO these are the best AT bindings ever made. Super lightweight, will fit any boot with a welt, so few moving parts you can strip them down, clean them, adjust them all in the field with very few tools. I believe at one time standard field issue for the Swiss Army, I used them on Denali. Also innovative: 180 degree release at the toe, generous heel risers, etc. Sigh...I feel so old to be recommending Ramers... :oops:

-Tom

Postby schrund » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for the feedback! Just bought them....

Next question, since you use them: I have a pair of Atomic Tour Guide Super Lights with Tele bindings, and an unmounted pair of Volkl Snow Eagles, which are fatter and much heavier, but will float better in powder.

I am mostly an approach skier with heavy pack. I don't do a lot of BC downhill skiing, but am an aggressive blue skier, tentative black diamond skier when inbounds.

Combined weight of pack plus skier is usually around 230 (170+60). Which would you recommend mounting the Ramer to? The atomic or the Volkl?

Postby TomPierce » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am

Shearmodulus: Wow...sorry to break it to you but I had no idea you'd go out and buy some. What I saw in the ebay link was probably the very first Ramer made, really old. Functionally it looks close to what I have, but the later models are much lighter and streamlined. Take a look at Lou Dawson's Wild Snow site, he has a really good history of AT bindings, and you can see what I mean.

But hey, maybe they'll be fine. As for which ski to ultimately use, if you're more concerned with skinning and freight hauling vs skiing, my vote would be the one that has the most square inches; similar to a snowshoe it'll give the most flotation. But if that means you'll be lugging a really heavy ski, I guess you have to make a trade off. I'm sure some of the skier-types here will weigh in on that issue.

If those old Ramers don't work out and you can't find a newer pair, as I understand it the Silvretta 404 is another option. Good luck!
-Tom

Postby captainp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 am

I will put in a good word for the old Ramer bindings as well. Simple, reliable, and lightweight. Tool less adjustment as well. I use them with my plastic double boots, as well as Scarpa Mont Blancs. Mine are mounted on older downhill skis (Kneisel 185 cm), and used this setup on expeditions with a heavy pack and a sled successfully. Hope your new setup works well for you. Low tech generally equals increased reliability.

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 pm

I've used a pair of these Boreal sliding snowshoes (basically fat skis with a snowshoe binding) with my mountaineering boots with some success. I wouldn't want to tackle anything too steep with them (binding is just two straps: one across the ankle, one across the toe), but pretty fun nonetheless.
Since many winter trailheads involve quite a bit of walking on gentle (but unplowed) snowy roads, they make that part easier. Great for going up service roads or something, then stashing them when it gets steeper. As long as the descent isn't too angled, you can make a lot of time going back to the car.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-gear-review-ll-bean-boreal-sliding-snowshoes/gear/15217