Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing down a 14er

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Skiing down a 14er

Postby Mountain Goat1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I was wondering if skiing down a 14er in February or March would be a good idea considering the lack of snow? I have checked reports and could not find anything recent. If we get more snow what 14ers would you recommend? I am new to 14ers I've done Sherman, Elbert, Grays, Torreys, and Quandary. NOTE I DID SUMMER CLIMBS ON THESE AND DID NOT SKI DOWN THEM.But, I have a lot of skiing experience and will not freak out or fall easily on a steep slope. Thank you for any responses in advance they really do help.

Re: Skiing down a 14er

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Usually February can be quite sparse, though it gets better the farther you get into March. Last year was bad, this year may be too.

Here's a recent thread which may help: http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38762&p=469692
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Mountain Goat1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Usually February can be quite sparse, though it gets better the farther you get into March. Last year was bad, this year may be too.

Here's a recent thread which may help: http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38762&p=469692

Thanks this did help

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm

The peaks you've already done are a good place to start...maybe not Torreys depending on your ability level.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Mountain Goat1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Bean wrote:The peaks you've already done are a good place to start...maybe not Torreys depending on your ability level.

I agree with that Torreys would be fine to ski but climbing would be a challenge thanks :)

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am

I have been looking at my first one for the year too and with the new snow on top of really faceted old snow, I am a bit worried about getting on anything early. I may try to get to San Luis. I think staying on slopes that haven't had much old snow and are slowly filling in with new snow will be the safest bet for now. Skiing back country near a resort isn't quite the same as dealing with the snow conditions above treeline. I'll probably be changing plans as wind and cold reshape our new snowpack.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm

FWIW, san luis was a ski of epic proportions for me, i wouldn't recommend it as a first teener descent, not terribly hard just far from straight forward, that was a long day for me and my bro; however, we are slow gapers so YMMV.

I think Quandary is the best peak for the first 14er descent.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm

I've been dreading San Luis for 2 years now. I wish I had gotten it a couple of years ago when we had record snow. Now it seems like just a massive slog through garbage snow, down an avy slope and up a pile of frozen garbage to ski junk snow... I think I'll do it after a couple of weeks climbing other peaks.

Postby mtnfiend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

leadvilleclimber wrote:....Now it seems like just a massive slog through garbage snow, down an avy slope and up a pile of frozen garbage to ski junk snow....

You do realize how accurately this describes skiing peaks, right?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm

mtnfiend wrote:
leadvilleclimber wrote:....Now it seems like just a massive slog through garbage snow, down an avy slope and up a pile of frozen garbage to ski junk snow....

You do realize how accurately this describes skiing peaks, right?

It really is miserable most of the time, I really don't know why I keep going back.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:32 pm

It isn't always so bad... In May. I prefer corn but that doesn't cover much of the year. I can't remember many good decents on anything in calendar winter unless it is side country.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I think Quandary is the best peak for the first 14er descent.

Going down which way? Back down the East Ridge, or one of the couloirs?

EDIT - and looking at the route descriptions, I'm pretty well able to answer my own question. East ridge is D3 / R2 / II, Cristo Couloir is D9 / R3 / II, and Quandary Couloir is D11 / R2 / II (See here to understand that rating.)

I'll probably start with the East Ridge, don't feel like doing a D9 or D11 just yet.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Next