Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Season 2013

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Couloir Season 2013

Postby bloomy » Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am

MountainMedic wrote:
SolarAlex wrote:anybody done cristo in the last few days? thinking of giving it a try on friday

Did Cristo today with SurfNTurf. We made it to around 13,600 and turned around due to crappy snow conditions - everything was slush by 930 AM. You also won't be able to get a car to the dam, there's a huge snowplow pile on the road just after the standard route TH parking. It seemed like a normally awesome route; I hope you get some cold weather and have some fun!

bummer. after the snow pile, was it mostly dry to the damn?

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am

bloomy wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:
SolarAlex wrote:anybody done cristo in the last few days? thinking of giving it a try on friday

Did Cristo today with SurfNTurf. We made it to around 13,600 and turned around due to crappy snow conditions - everything was slush by 930 AM. You also won't be able to get a car to the dam, there's a huge snowplow pile on the road just after the standard route TH parking. It seemed like a normally awesome route; I hope you get some cold weather and have some fun!

bummer. after the snow pile, was it mostly dry to the damn?

The road was snow-covered completely except for one or two small sections. It would be driveable (4WD) to within a half-mile of the dam, where some serious drifts and wet slab debris will block access for some time. I wouldn't be surprised if the plow berm MountainMedic referenced can be surmounted by the weekend, given the extremely warm temps this week.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby leggaj5 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the info on Cristo. I was thinking about giving it a go on Saturday, but I think I'm going to wait until Sunday. Overnight low for Saturday night is 23 according to the weather link so hopefully it will get a good freeze.

Postby ash-ish » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 am

Planning on climbing Dragon's Tail memorial day weekend. If the current warm weather conditions continue, it looks like the best option would be to climb very early in the morning or late in the night. Since that weekend is a full moon weekend, I am thinking of making an early start, like 3:00AM. I am a slow hiker too.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri May 17, 2013 7:22 am

Toying with the idea of Skywalker 05/25 now that 4th of July is open. Anyone have any shots / beta on it they can share?

Cheers,
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Boudoir on Horseshoe is in great shape as of this morning. We got to the base a little before 8 and wished we had been there an hour earlier but still managed with only small postholing. Descended the standard route and snow shoes were nice on the decent through.

The finger couloirs coming off White Ridge looked pretty tasty but the aprons will start melting out soon.

Postby pete26 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 am

Were you guys skiing or climbing Cristo Couloir? Can you skin all the way to the lake and once you head up the couloir? or is it too steep that you need to put on the crampons?
Live today like yesterdays history and tomorrows a mystery.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat May 18, 2013 3:52 am

Outward Bound Couloir on Kit Carson is full of snow right now...

Conditions Report

Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby bloomy » Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 am

We made an attempt to climb and ski Dragon Egg on Mt Meeker on Thurs 5/16. The lack of overnight freeze turned us around at 8:30am at nearly 12,000 feet. It looks like a few nights of freezing starts tonight. Fingers crossed.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 pm

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Boudoir on Horseshoe is in great shape as of this morning. We got to the base a little before 8 and wished we had been there an hour earlier but still managed with only small postholing. Descended the standard route and snow shoes were nice on the decent through.

The finger couloirs coming off White Ridge looked pretty tasty but the aprons will start melting out soon.

Thanks for the conditions report (and the boot pack), Boudoir skied pretty well this morning. Dropped in about 9.15 and it was just getting nicely carveable, not exactly corn, but a good ski. Almost continuous to the car, just two short dry spots on the road, one right above Leavick and one at the road split. Good freeze last night, nice to see a spring snowpack setting up in the Mosquitos!

Image below was taken on the way out, 2 groups of 2 can be seen in the Couloir (and a group of 10 at the base!).

130518 Boudoir.JPG
Boudoir on May 18
130518 Boudoir.JPG (234.27 KiB) Viewed 862 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby FullertonImages » Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Outward Bound Couloir on Kit Carson is full of snow right now...

Conditions Report

That looks fantastic, Bill!
Adventure Photographer - Staff Photographer for Backpacker Magazine and Climbing Magazine.

Fullerton Images Facebook Google+ Twitter

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun May 19, 2013 3:51 am

It really was!
This was my first time in the OB Couloir and to get it with good snow conditions was a bonus. The only rock we had to climb over was the tiny rib between the top of OB Kit Carson's upper, SE face. Even that was mostly snow.

Hopefully other climbers were able to take advantage of our staircase. :)
Only SNOW will end the madness

PreviousNext