Seeking Front Range Skimo Partner

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kuusk
14ers: 39  6  4 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Seeking Front Range Skimo Partner

Post by kuusk »

Experienced bc skier looking for new partners. Unfortunately most of my partners have turned to riding lifts, raising kids, and drinking too much beer. I'm not afraid to start early for long missions and would like to check off a few classics this spring. I live in Boulder but regularly drive to find good snow.

A little bit more about me:

Summited about 20 14ers, skied 5 or 6 of them. A few winter ascents/descents.
Experienced rock climber (trad, sport, alpine)
Medium speed on the skin track (I don't run on my skis, but I won't slow you down)
Off every-other weekend and random weekdays (I work in healthcare)
Strong avalanche rescue/assessment skills
Prefer to ski with experienced partners (aka I don't want to teach you how to use your skins)

My goals: a few dawn patrols here and there in Berthod, East Portal, rmnp, etc.. Would love to ski 30-40 degree stuff this spring (silver, dead dog, dragon's tail)

Maybe we can grab a beer and figure it out.

-kuusk
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Seeking Front Range Skimo Partner

Post by AndyJB444 »

Hey man,

Sounds like we may have similar goals.

Let me know if you want to try and meet up or get out for a dawn/dusk patrol.

I am gunning for the Torreys tri-fecta this spring and some other objectives.

I'm in Golden.
daveb
Trip Reports (0)

Post by daveb »

Also looking to do same routes plus summit county stuff. Have been doing solo skis but would like partners for safety with all the avi scares. Send me pm. I'm available days.
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

Definitely interested in dawn patrols in IPW/RMNP on weekends
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Also interested, willing to meet up for a beer to see if we are on the same page. PM me. In Wheat Ridge.

I'm not really satisfied with my partners right now for longer missions. They are great, fun to drink with, are safe, and great for short trips. The fact is they just can't keep up, and I'm not all that fast or in shape but they just literally have to quit around mile 4 every time and we have to turn around. I've already had to turn around twice on G and T twice this year which is frustrating.

Finished a handful of 14ers
I've skied Quandary, G and T, James peak all in calendar winter. Ski Berthoud, Jones, James Peak at least once a month to stay in shape
Rock climb occasionaly, definitely still learning going once a week right now in the gym
Average skin speed
Can do weekends or get weekdays off for further peaks
Taken aiare 1, and do practice searches every year
This is my 2nd year BC skiing but I'm from CO and skied all my life (31 yrs old)

Most interested in a partner for peaks than side country.
Nobleman
14ers: 11  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nobleman »

Hey! I'm looking for some ski partners come spring too! My current main ski partner is heading out of town right during prime spring skiing season!

My background and goals briefly:

- experienced bc skier, Avi 1, all the necessary gear
- wouldn't say I'm a machine by any means, but I am pretty fast and sustained on the skintrack.
- experienced climber (trad, alpine, sport)
- solid "mountain head" - put an emphasis on making good decisions
- WFR

Goals - looking to do more 14ers this spring. I've only skied Beirstadt and Torreys. Up for any other peak with good ski lines too though. Pretty much only have weekends available.

I'd totally be down for a get-to-know-each-other tour before heading up to the peaks!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Have you ever skied Corbets?
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Have you ever skied Corbets?
Once I had a dream about it and woke up with wet underwear...does that count ?
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

It counts, it's been scientifically proven that the brain can not differ between dreams and reality.
Mountaindoc_10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountaindoc_10 »

Hi I see that this post is about a year old, but I was curious if anyone is still looking for a ski partner? I moved recently from Montana. Pretty extensive BC experience, avy 1 trained, prior to medical school was trained as a wilderness-EMT, I have both a big mountain setup as well as a lightweight skimo setup. Looking to get some good lines in, but ultimate goal is to go on some good winter adventures and bag some peaks. Very strong physically spend my summers as a competitive mountain runner and athlete. Also hoping to find someone interested in competing in some of the various skimo races around the state as many require a partner. Schedule is a little wonky as I am a 3rd year medical student. Really just hoping to find some likeminded people as meeting people who have the appropriate skill set is difficult and climb some peaks, the downhill is fun but really like the up. Willing to meet up for a beer beforehand feel free to PM with any questions or plans.
gspup
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Mountaindoc_10 wrote:Hi I see that this post is about a year old, but I was curious if anyone is still looking for a ski partner? I moved recently from Montana. Pretty extensive BC experience, avy 1 trained, prior to medical school was trained as a wilderness-EMT, I have both a big mountain setup as well as a lightweight skimo setup. Looking to get some good lines in, but ultimate goal is to go on some good winter adventures and bag some peaks. Very strong physically spend my summers as a competitive mountain runner and athlete. Also hoping to find someone interested in competing in some of the various skimo races around the state as many require a partner. Schedule is a little wonky as I am a 3rd year medical student. Really just hoping to find some likeminded people as meeting people who have the appropriate skill set is difficult and climb some peaks, the downhill is fun but really like the up. Willing to meet up for a beer beforehand feel free to PM with any questions or plans.
Are you in Denver ? Do you climb ice ?

I want to get Kelso Ridge in the next month or so with a ski descent.
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

gspup wrote:
Mountaindoc_10 wrote:Hi I see that this post is about a year old, but I was curious if anyone is still looking for a ski partner? I moved recently from Montana. Pretty extensive BC experience, avy 1 trained, prior to medical school was trained as a wilderness-EMT, I have both a big mountain setup as well as a lightweight skimo setup. Looking to get some good lines in, but ultimate goal is to go on some good winter adventures and bag some peaks. Very strong physically spend my summers as a competitive mountain runner and athlete. Also hoping to find someone interested in competing in some of the various skimo races around the state as many require a partner. Schedule is a little wonky as I am a 3rd year medical student. Really just hoping to find some likeminded people as meeting people who have the appropriate skill set is difficult and climb some peaks, the downhill is fun but really like the up. Willing to meet up for a beer beforehand feel free to PM with any questions or plans.
Are you in Denver ? Do you climb ice ?

I want to get Kelso Ridge in the next month or so with a ski descent.
Kelso ridge would be a sick ski descent, probably an FD.