Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder Field

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Boulder Field

Postby jjelak » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 pm

So the guy planning our trip (arrive 7/16) sent in via snail mail our backcountry permit for the Longs Boulderfield....limit 7 guys right? We have an 8th guy just joining.
I am crushed at the prospect of not camping at the BField the night prior to our Summit attempt. TIme is running out. Should we apply for two sites? Thoughts?

Re: Boulder Field

Postby TomPierce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Have your 8th (or your strongest 1-2 hikers) just do it as a day climb. Weighed down with only water, snacks, rain gear, they will race up the trail (relatively speaking) and could meet you in the Boulderfield. Not a biggie, and IMO they probably will have slept better the night before anyway. Just an idea.
-Tom

Postby ketel1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:22 pm

The permits are for the # of tents, isn't this true? For our reservations, I did tell the ranger when I got mine that there would be 3 of us. BUT-the permit is for 2 tents sites....what is yours for? Can the 8th squeeze in? Not sure how it works but that is what we have.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby jjelak » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 pm

My understanding...letter of the law...7 max at one site.

Postby Cruiser » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:36 pm

I kinda doubt the rangers are going to be up there counting people in each tent. That said, if I were in your shoes I'd call for another permit. You don't have a great chance of getting one this late in the game but it wouldn't hurt to try.

FWIW we had a nice large site a couple of years ago up there that could have easily accomodated a third tent or a pair of 4-5 man tents.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby EmmaM » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Cruiser wrote:
FWIW we had a nice large site a couple of years ago up there that could have easily accomodated a third tent or a pair of 4-5 man tents.

In total there are 9 rock-walled sites varying in size. Some are large enough to fit 2 or 3 large tents, others only a single 2P tent. You can't really "reserve" the larger sites, as it's a first-come/first-serve basis, but you can get a head start to increase your chances of getting the larger site.

I've questioned the etiquette of this issue before. Last year I arrived first and kept to myself in a small, single tent site (in case a larger group came). The next couple I see sprawled out their single tent in the largest site available. Really..???

From NPS:
Party size is limited to seven at individual sites and 12 at group sites. Due to excessive impact, groups over seven persons must use group sites or split up and camp at least one mile apart.

Personally, I'd call and see if another spot is available. Who knows, someone may cancel their reservation (I'm about to do that for one of mine in August).
...and off the record, if all else, I'd just squeeze the last person in. While the rule is understandable for below-treeline camping, I doubt the impact of one extra person would be critical in a field full of boulders.