Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ideas for Group summit in May

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Ideas for Group summit in May

Postby pdreyer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Hello. I am looking for a good 14er to hike with a group in May. Here are the catches....
- This will be part of a paid group experience, so I will need to get a organizational permit.
- Hikers will be of varying ability levels, so I will need a relatively easy ascent.
- It's in May, so, of course, I need a peak where snow will not be a stopping feature.

In short, I need to find a relatively easy peak that will be easy for me to get a permit for a group to hike on this May.

Any ideas? Thanks!

paul

Re: Ideas for Group summit in May

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

pdreyer wrote:- It's in May, so, of course, I need a peak where snow will not be a stopping feature.
paul

define snow being a stopping feature?
none on path? no avy risk? no snow traction needed? not still freezing on the summit?
im assuming the end of may to get better chances of some of the above?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby CO Native » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Agreed that you need to clarify that. You will encounter snow on most peaks 11,000 feet and taller that time of year so what does it take to stop your group?

Here are all the trip reports from May hikes to get an idea of conditions.

Good luck getting a permit.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby pdreyer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks. By stopping feature, I mean no technical snow travel (no need for avi gear or axes).

paul

Postby CO Native » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Were you hoping to do a 14er or would something a little shorter fit the bill too?

As far as 14ers go I'd recommend Quandary, Elbert, or Pikes. Easy to avoid avy terrain and likely you'll be able to access the trailhead. However you will not be able to get a permit to do a guided hike up Pikes. I don't know what your chances are for the other two.

One caveat though, in May I recommend an ice axe (along with knowledge and practice in the proper use of one) for any fourteener route in May. It can save your life, they don't cost too much, and most important they look really cool in your hand for the summit shots. Routes like Quandary don't really pose much risk on the route itself but should you lose the trail in the snow (which is a real possibility in May) you may find yourself where you don't want to be without an axe.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby peter303 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:39 pm

You better have tons in liability insurance if you pose questions like this.
I was in a blizzard on Quandry in June this year, the same weekend Kevin Haynes had his unfortunate accident further to the south.
The ice/snow risk doesnt become small until about July 1.

Postby summers » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:14 pm

There are several good 13er options (Hoosier Ridge & Red Peak, Sniktau & Grizzly, Storm & Lady Washington, etc) if you would consider something shorter. They will still likely have significant snow, and a chance you would need snowshoes. But the problem in May is that wet heavy fresh snow can occur pretty easily, so even "good" routes could turn nasty with a late-season snowfall.