Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A win for the San Juans

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

A win for the San Juans

Postby habaceeba » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 pm

http://markudall.senate.gov/?p=form&id=37

Let's just hope Udall can get the other morons on the hill to jump on board. That'll be tough because it doesn't look like there's much in there that would line their pockets.

Re: A win for the San Juans

Postby JE242 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Like!

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm a big fan of that photo at the top... :-"

Postby gb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Bummer. Hopefully it doesn't pass.

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:03 pm

I also hope it fails to pass... I can't get behind Wilderness designations anymore, until they allow mountain biking and competitive human-powered events.

At least they are grandfathering in the Hardrock Hundred with this one.

Postby habaceeba » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:40 am

Sugar Madison wrote:I also hope it fails to pass... I can't get behind Wilderness designations anymore, until they allow mountain biking and competitive human-powered events.

So you would prefer these areas still be open to exploitation by mining and logging interests just because you can't ride your bike there?

Postby Bean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 am

habaceeba wrote:So you would prefer these areas still be open to exploitation by mining and logging interests just because you can't ride your bike there?

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. You Wilderness people are putting people who would otherwise be big supporters of the cause (for example, mountain bikers) in the same camp as O&G, mining, and logging folks because of your absurd interpretation of the law.

Let me rephrase your question for you: you would prefer these areas still be open to exploitation by mining and logging interests just because you can't stand to see a bike there?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby WheelerDealer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 am

Right on man, I couldn't possibly say it with that much clarity.

=D>

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 am

If anyone wants to look at a high quality map of what's included go here:

http://www.sheepmountainalliance.org/uploads/map.sjmwa.pdf

I'm fully in support and hope it gets passed.

Postby metalmountain » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 am

Bean wrote:
habaceeba wrote:So you would prefer these areas still be open to exploitation by mining and logging interests just because you can't ride your bike there?

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. You Wilderness people are putting people who would otherwise be big supporters of the cause (for example, mountain bikers) in the same camp as O&G, mining, and logging folks because of your absurd interpretation of the law.

Let me rephrase your question for you: you would prefer these areas still be open to exploitation by mining and logging interests just because you can't stand to see a bike there?

Well we may not always agree Bean, but you phrased that quite well =D>
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Floyd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 am

Bean wrote:

Just because I feel like rousing some dialogue on a Friday morning...

It's not "my" interpretation. Currently, it's "the" interpretation. I would still think an outdoor enthusiast would encourage wilderness designations and then, lobby for a change in the restrictions to suit "your" interests. Personally, I would rather see the logging, mining and the like be kept out so the damage is not done and then for the bikers of the community continue to "fight for their right to party", so to speak.

I think preserving the landscape should be every outdoor enthusiasts first priority. Changing the restrictions and educating the decision makers as to how other, currently restricted, hobbies do not impact the area (or on a similar level to permissable activities) should be the goal here - not halting progress.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby mattpayne11 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:40 am

I support the legislation but agree that Wilderness Designation should be altered to allow for mountain bikes.

With that being said - the benefits greatly outweight the costs if that alteration does not happen.

Next