Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

What would be a reasonable fee for accessing a popular 14er?

$0
54%
less than $5
11%
$5
16%
$10
11%
$20
5%
more than $20
4%

Total votes : 224

Re: What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Postby Scott P » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

Last edited by Scott P on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby tharlow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I believe that in the state of Colorado you cannot be billed for costs for rescues involving volunteer SAR members. You can be billed for time and expense for the law enforcement members, but in Mesa county I am not aware of this having happened and I do not believe that it is the county's policy to do so. The COSAR protects the individual from these expenses. If medical transport, fire department personel, or a helicopter is required, then you will be billed by those agencies, but not bythe SAR agency. We do appreciate those who purchase the COSAR card as those funds are used to purchase and replace equipment that is often paid for out of pocket by the volunteers.

Postby pkripper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:27 pm

People are not entitled to a free ride at the expense of others. (this is not personally directed at you, just those who "make the case")

Those currently in Washington may disagree with you.I personally buy the card for myself and my family every year for hunting,walking, climbing and mountaineering. It's a good program that goes to a great cause.

Postby CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

tharlow wrote:I believe that in the state of Colorado you cannot be billed for costs for rescues involving volunteer SAR members. You can be billed for time and expense for the law enforcement members, but in Mesa county I am not aware of this having happened and I do not believe that it is the county's policy to do so. The COSAR protects the individual from these expenses. If medical transport, fire department personel, or a helicopter is required, then you will be billed by those agencies, but not bythe SAR agency. We do appreciate those who purchase the COSAR card as those funds are used to purchase and replace equipment that is often paid for out of pocket by the volunteers.

Good points! I guess if SAR volunteers, then you are not technically liable for their expenses if you are rescued. So in all reality, the COSAR card is insurance for the SAR but is purchased by the climber. What I mean is that the SAR teams will get some money every time they choose to make a rescue. I guess a better term might be a "stipend" for SAR teams paid for by faithful climbers.

Postby SeracZack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm

LtWitte wrote:What I mean is that the SAR teams will get some money every time they choose to make a rescue.

I don't think they choose to make any rescue. If it is reported, they respond. Not all of the members in the SAR team will respond to every call, but the team will be there. Once again, it's not insurance. It says so right in the description when you buy it.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby JimCribari » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

Belonging to Search and Rescue in Nevada my perspective is a fee only if it supports SAR in the same area and trail maintenance. Otherwise it is a ripoff to the community and taking unnecessary advantage of people... I remember the forest service employeees in California couldnt even tell me whether there was water on tabooose creek even though one of them had picked up a group of hikers from the basin. What a waste or resources paying people who have no regard for climbers personal safety...

Postby Dakota » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Colorado is annoying and already charges too much for almost everything. You can't even go to a wildlife area without a wildlife habitat stamp. #-o State parks, boat ramps, swim areas....etc. Car registration over priced, and I could go on and on.

The one thing that I do enjoy is that I can get healthy exercise, low cost recreational fun, and a beautiful view by hiking in CO. :-D
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Dakota007 wrote:You can't even go to a wildlife area without a wildlife habitat stamp. #-o

Ummm, no.

A Habitat Stamp is not required to hike or camp on State Wildlife Areas or State Trust Lands.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Shop/AppsLicenses/HabitatStamp/RevisedHabitatflyer.pdf
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby climbnowworklater » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:06 pm

F'em! I'll just move to 13er's and do the 14er's without them ever knowing...
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 pm

If ALL the 14ers were pay-to-play mountains, then I'd just spend my time on the gazillions of free mountains. 12,500, 13,000, 13,500 foot talus isn't all that much different than 14,000, 14,100, 14,200+ foot talus.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby martinleroux » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm

broncotw wrote:The majority of the 14ers are on public land (NOT all are) and taxes already go towards the upkeep... Taxing or charging a fee to climb a 14er... is just another paltry attempt by politicians to bring in money as opposed to doing their job in which they were elected to do: spend the tax payers money responsibly, quit spending money frivolously

The problem is that one person's frivolous spending is another person's essential service. Many non-hiking taxpayers and politicians consider upkeep of hiking trails to be just the sort of frivolous spending that ought to be cut.

This may be a heretical viewpoint, but I think a modest user fee can better align the interests of land managers and recreational users. You can see this by contrasting Eldorado Canyon State Park and their next-door neighbor, City of Boulder OSMP. Eldo is highly dependent on user fees from climbers, and they have a constructive and positive relationship with the climbing community. Boulder OSMP gets their funding from general revenue & sales taxes, and they seem to be much more focused on land acquisition than providing services to recreational users.

But this only works for heavily-used areas. Many 14ers are so remote that the cost of collecting user fees would absorb most if not all of the revenue.
Last edited by martinleroux on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:53 pm

MUni Rider wrote:12,500, 13,000, 13,500 foot talus isn't all that much different than 14,000, 14,100, 14,200+ foot talus.

Except that, by definition, there's much less of it :)
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

PreviousNext