Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Manitou Incline legalized

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Manitou Incline legalized

Postby doggler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:09 am

Many folks are getting together for a lap tomorrow morning - there will be a ribbon-cutting at 7AM.

It will be a good day!

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 am

Scott Rappold at the Gazette is doing a whole series of Incline stories through this weekend. The Gazette is also holding a photo contest with a $200 top prize, for the best picture at the top of the Incline holding Friday's front page.

Today's story features Ruxton Avenue residents and shopowners complaining about all the traffic. They're really going to enjoy tomorrow morning - it's probably going to be a zoo.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby jsdratm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

Jim Davies wrote:Scott Rappold at the Gazette is doing a whole series of Incline stories through this weekend. The Gazette is also holding a photo contest with a $200 top prize, for the best picture at the top of the Incline holding Friday's front page.

Today's story features Ruxton Avenue residents and shopowners complaining about all the traffic. They're really going to enjoy tomorrow morning - it's probably going to be a zoo.

lol, "Incline People". I bet if you had a business selling refreshments you would see quite a bit of sales by catering to the hikers. I personally frequented a few restaurants and the cool arcade after doing the incline when I lived in the area. However, I can't imagine many hikers are looking to buy art after doing the incline.

Postby jrs1965 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 am

PaliKona wrote:Is the Incline worth doing coming from Denver? (never been there)

Yes. Here's a very long and slow preview...

Postby doggler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

jsdratm wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Scott Rappold at the Gazette is doing a whole series of Incline stories through this weekend. The Gazette is also holding a photo contest with a $200 top prize, for the best picture at the top of the Incline holding Friday's front page.

lol, "Incline People". I bet if you had a business selling refreshments you would see quite a bit of sales by catering to the hikers. I personally frequented a few restaurants and the cool arcade after doing the incline when I lived in the area. However, I can't imagine many hikers are looking to buy art after doing the incline.

QFE. If you're a business owner, do you try to force people to like what you offer? Or do you try to cater to your potential customers? Workout warriors will spend money on stuff - Camelbaks, Incline t-shirts, and lattes. If you want to sell art, move your shop down Manitou Ave to some place where Sven and Helga from Iowa will see you. Ruxton doesn't get nearly the tourist traffic as Manitou Ave as it is.

Postby johnF » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm

PaliKona wrote:looks super fun...I'll have to head down there and try it. Is there ice/patches of snow right now or dry (not sure of the aspect)

Just came from the Incline. It's about half snow-free, with shaded parts having an inch or so of new snow mixed with gravel. Barr Trail coming down has some icy spots. Didn't really need traction on either. I'd think by tomorrow afternoon it'll be pretty much dry.

Some posts earlier mentioned connecting to Barr Trail. For those coming for the first time -- some people come back down the Incline, but it's so steep that most hikers/runners come down Barr instead. At the top of the Incline, go directly left and you'll find a rough, gravelly shortcut through the trees that leads down to Barr. Or if continuing up to Barr Camp or elsewhere, go straight up from the top of the Incline. There'll be two trails up ahead, one a bit to the left and one a bit to the right. The one on the right goes about half a mile and then merges with Barr at the 3-mile-in sign.

Postby jrs1965 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

doggler wrote:QFE. If you're a business owner, do you try to force people to like what you offer? Or do you try to cater to your potential customers? Workout warriors will spend money on stuff - Camelbaks, Incline t-shirts, and lattes. If you want to sell art, move your shop down Manitou Ave to some place where Sven and Helga from Iowa will see you. Ruxton doesn't get nearly the tourist traffic as Manitou Ave as it is.

I always stop, Marika's Coffee House on Manitou Avenue is easy to park at in the morning and they have art...

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 pm

doggler wrote:QFE. If you're a business owner, do you try to force people to like what you offer? Or do you try to cater to your potential customers? Workout warriors will spend money on stuff - Camelbaks, Incline t-shirts, and lattes. If you want to sell art, move your shop down Manitou Ave to some place where Sven and Helga from Iowa will see you. Ruxton doesn't get nearly the tourist traffic as Manitou Ave as it is.

These business owners sound a lot like the restaurant(s?) in Leadville that get grumpy about events like the Leadville 100 and shut down for the day.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

rijaca wrote:Does anybody remember actually riding the Incline? (I do.)
Dancesatmoonrise wrote: Isn't it nice to be a fully functional dinosaur??!! ... Any photos?
rijaca wrote: ... calling me a dinosaur is being polite. Thanks! ... I did carve a couple petroglyphs.

Ok, rijaca, I give up. Can you tell us if you're in any of these? Maybe fourth row? :-"

Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby rijaca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 pm

^^^^^

First row, wearing the disguise....

Incline1.jpg
Incline1.jpg (118.93 KiB) Viewed 383 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Before we moved here, we came out in late September, 1989 for a wedding, and rode the Incline on September 26th. A few days later, it closed for good. Coincidence?

Unfortunately, our photo album from that trip has a note saying we left the camera in the car on our Incline ride. :cry:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 am

rijaca wrote:First row, wearing the disguise....
:lol: Ahh, I see you were quite the ladies' man back then! :wink: For anyone who likes hiking old rail beds, Rollins Pass on the Continental Divide (CD Trail too) between Boulder and Winter Park is pretty cool too!
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

PreviousNext