Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Manitou Incline legalized

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Manitou Incline legalized

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 am

HikerDan75 wrote:Is the Incline something you can do this time of year, or does it just depend on how much snow there's been?

Open year round. It's actually quite nice with lots of snow and ice. Strap on some micro spikes after a fresh snow and head up. You will see far less crowds on the incline and the Barr Trail, as well as while seeking a parking space. On your run/hike down the Barr trail later, you will not have all the loose gravel and rocks. All that is covered and your mirco spikes will provide solid traction on the snow and ice. My fastest decent times on the Barr Trail have been in the winter because of these reasons.

Here is a link to one of my condition/trip report from two years ago to show you what to expect after a fresh snow: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9549

Note: After a day or two of thousands of hikers, the snow and ice on the steps on the incline magically get covered in grit, sand and gravel that is kicked down from the above steps, as you can see here a week after the above report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9563

You can see how fast the conditions will change once the sun comes out.

Hope the visuals help.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby George Kaplan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am

This article was posted yesterday on the Gazette's website outlining the Incline rules: http://articles.outtherecolorado.com/articles/ready-2175-criminals-scofflaws.html

There are a few rules that are posted in the article (and that have also been posted on the new sign at the bottom of Incline) that have never been followed, will probably continue to not be followed, and I question the importance of these rules:

1.) "Uphill access only. Help keep trail traffic jams to a minimum by descending on Barr Trail." I see people going down the Incline all the time. Often, people who want to get a super-punishing workout by going up and down the Incline multiple times go up and down the Incline to save time. The article seems to mention that the reasoning behind this rule is that people going down the Incline cause "traffic jams", but even on the busiest days I have not noticed any "jams" caused by people descending. Occasionally one steps to one side to let another pass, but this does not create any conflict or unsafe conditions. There are just as many such "jams" created via the ascent when people have to pass one another on the narrower sections.

2.) "No dogs allowed. Waste became a serious concern on the trail, as did the potential of injuries from off-leash and leashed dogs." I am not a dog-person (in fact, I'm a cat-person), but I know that dog owners have always loved bringing their pets along on the Incline and I want to stick up for them. I have personally only witnessed responsible handling of dogs by their owners and have never seen any harm caused by dogs on the Incline. I have seen a few instances of waste not picked up and owners need to take of that business a bit better, but it's pretty draconian to ban dogs altogether.

3.) "Hours are dawn to dusk. Pre-dawn car doors and hikers’ head lamps disturb neighbors, and is it really safe to be 2,000 feet up a steep trail in the dark?" Yes, it's safe if you bring a headlamp; I've done it many times. I know one of probably many people who regularly train for the Pikes Peak Ascent by doing the Incline twice in the pre-dawn morning before going into work on a weekday. If one is working a full day, doing the Incline before or after dark (especially in the wintry months) is a necessity. I've also done dayhikes up Pikes Peak via the Incline as well, and a pre-dawn departure is a necessity for that. What's more, the Barr Trail parking lot is available for pre-dawn hikers (also a necessity for doing a day-hike of Pikes via Barr), so why not at least allow people who park at the Barr Trail Lot to hike the Incline pre-dawn? They've just added a nice connecting trail between the lot and the bottom of the Incline, so what additional harm is caused by that? For no one that has ever done it, it's a great experience watching the sun rise over the city from the top of the Incline.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the Incline is at least legalized, but these 3 rules seem a bit ham-fisted/uncompromising and don't reflect how I typically have seen people enjoying the Incline. Like I said, I still see plenty of dogs, descenders, and early-risers using the Incline and the fact that the article mentions that law enforcement may be used in the future to regulate these rules has me concerned that people may be getting fined for doing what they've been used to doing. I think of the Incline as more of a mountain trailhead and feel like it's trying to be regulated more as a city park. It's hovering somewhere in the middle, I suppose. Has anyone on this site sat in on the public meetings when these rules were being hammered out? I'd be interested to hear your 2 cents.

One more thing I should highlight from the article that I found interesting: Parking along Ruxton Ave. is eventually going to be metered. I foresee parking in downtown Manitou Springs becoming more congested once that happens! :?

Postby doggler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 am

George Kaplan wrote:1.) "Uphill access only.

My understanding - this one, unlike the others, is merely a recommendation. Indeed, heading back down the Incline can do things to/for you neuromuscularly to prepare you for races such as the Pikes Marathon that simply descending Barr cannot do. Whenever I head back down, it's a no-brainer - uphill traffic ALWAYS, NO MATTER WHAT is given right-of-way. If dudes are out there not abiding by that guideline, well...then they're just DBs.

George Kaplan wrote:2.) "No dogs allowed.

This is no different than any other dog debate. Totally makes sense to me - for every 99 dogs anywhere, there's always 1 spaz that ruins it for everyone. I would prefer the rule not be in place, but all it takes is one accident for things to get ugly.

George Kaplan wrote:3.) "Hours are dawn to dusk.

Last week, as I was returning to my car just below the Cog Railway at some ridiculous pre-dawn time, I felt and heard a car approach. The bass thump was "impressive" to say the least. I witnessed dude idle in his car for a good 60-90 seconds with the music blaring. He then proceeded to open his car door to finish readying himself for his climb - unfortunately, he didn't bother turning off the music during this time, either. He was part of a Fort Carson group meeting up for a hike, and while most of them were totally chill, this guy was one of a handful talking extremely loud as they waited for their entire group to assemble. All I could think was how annoyed I would be if I were one of the residents of the homes there. It sucked no doubt - see above on how it only takes one or two DBs to ruin it for everyone else.

That being said, I happen to know of a guy who took his dog up and down the incline at 4:15 this morning.

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice! I now feel inclined to do this!
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby flylikeabeagle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Hiking the Manitou Incline with a weighted pack got me up Mt. Rainier almost 15 yrs. ago, but I do miss the days when the incline was sort of a secret training spot and you would only encounter a handful of people. It was so nice to hike up there and sit alone at the top for awhile staring down at the view. Parking is ridiculous now and it's just not as much fun to hike anymore with the mass of earphone wearing gym types. Ugh, I sound old and grumpy but I am nostalgic for the good old days before the incline got hip.
Can we drive any higher?

Postby Randy G. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 am

flylikeabeagle wrote:Hiking the Manitou Incline with a weighted pack got me up Mt. Rainier almost 15 yrs. ago, but I do miss the days when the incline was sort of a secret training spot and you would only encounter a handful of people. It was so nice to hike up there and sit alone at the top for awhile staring down at the view. Parking is ridiculous now and it's just not as much fun to hike anymore with the mass of earphone wearing gym types. Ugh, I sound old and grumpy but I am nostalgic for the good old days before the incline got hip.

Couldn't agree more. To avoid the crowds and get free parking, arrive earily in the am or climb during the week.
"There is no escape from a passion like climbing, even though it may be the path to death"

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm not sure if this is an April Fool's joke or not. :-s
http://articles.outtherecolorado.com/articles/opening-2289-ribbon-colorado.html
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby globreal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I'm not sure if this is an April Fool's joke or not. :-s
http://articles.outtherecolorado.com/articles/opening-2289-ribbon-colorado.html

Wow! Republicans and Democrats actually worked together to accomplish something? This MUST be an April Fools joke!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Previous