Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Less than 1% chance for survival

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby robnrhea » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 am

An incredible story on the front of the Denver Post today. Amazing survival and rescue
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22909077/colorado-skier-felt-life-fading-during-3-hours

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby colokeith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 am

crazy!! thanks for sharing
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby chrismjx » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Amazing. 3 hours is insane. One of my biggest fears right there...

Postby jeremy27 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:22 am

So it sounds like the fact that his AvaLung mouth-piece was in his breathing space made the difference. Did anyone else get that impression? Is that plausible?

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 am

That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

Jim Davies wrote:That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.

Cooler body temp = slower heart rate = slower breathing and less use of O2?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.

that's the basic idea, the cooler temp reduces the body and cells metabolism which decreases consumption of O2 and also decreases the output of wastes that build up and become toxic, like CO2 ect

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:

that's the basic idea, the cooler temp reduces the body and cells metabolism which decreases consumption of O2 and also decreases the output of wastes that build up and become toxic, like CO2 ect

wow. slowly freezing to death may have played a part in saving his life...who'dathunk? :wft:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Jeez--I hope if I'm ever slowly dying I also slowly freeze to death, and thus eventually survive.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:24 pm

screeman57 wrote:Jeez--I hope if I'm ever slowly dying I also slowly freeze to death, and thus eventually survive.

+1

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 am

yeah, I suppose there are worse ways to go, the best part is that it's believed towards the end you start to feel warm, people that have died from hypothermia are often found in various states of undress fueling the theory that victims start to feel hot and think they need to cool off. Also you tend to not think very clearly when you're hypothermic so I kind of think that you may not realize the end is near which I think sounds nice.

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:yeah, I suppose there are worse ways to go, the best part is that it's believed towards the end you start to feel warm, people that have died from hypothermia are often found in various states of undress fueling the theory that victims start to feel hot and think they need to cool off. Also you tend to not think very clearly when you're hypothermic so I kind of think that you may not realize the end is near which I think sounds nice.

This article was posted on here a while back. At the risk of picking the lowest hanging pun-fruit, it's a...ahem...chilling account. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/As-Freezing-Persons-Recollect-the-Snow--First-Chill--Then-Stupor--Then-the-Letting-Go.html