May 7th day of memorial and celebration

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
UrsaMajor
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: May 7th day of memorial and celebration

Post by UrsaMajor »

Kzar wrote:Sounds like a great idea. How about Landsdowne Arms (Highlands Ranch) or the Brewery Bar (Lone Tree)?
I'll second the Lansdowne Arms suggestion. While they don't have Colt 45, hopefully David would think that Guinness or some good Irish whiskey makes an acceptable substitute. Maybe 7:30 or 8:00?
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
- Fight Club
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Depending on what happens with out-of-town relatives coming in today, I may be able to make Landsdowne Arms.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Thanks for the reminder, CO Native. I won't be able to make it, but I'll be thinking about TM and other fellow climbers and hikers who've been lost.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Randonnee
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randonnee »

UrsaMajor wrote:
Kzar wrote:Sounds like a great idea. How about Landsdowne Arms (Highlands Ranch) or the Brewery Bar (Lone Tree)?
I'll second the Lansdowne Arms suggestion. While they don't have Colt 45, hopefully David would think that Guinness or some good Irish whiskey makes an acceptable substitute. Maybe 7:30 or 8:00?

If I can finish up here at work early enough I will try to stop by (assuming HR.) How do I identify the group?
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

(Thomas Jefferson)
UrsaMajor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by UrsaMajor »

Randonnee wrote: If I can finish up here at work early enough I will try to stop by (assuming HR.) How do I identify the group?
Hmmm...I don't have any 14ers.com gear or handy signs around. Maybe it's best to just check with the hostess stand at Lansdowne and let them direct people. Myself and another member will be by between 7:30 and 8:00.
- Fight Club
UrsaMajor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by UrsaMajor »

Alright, one more bump. At least two of us will be at Lansdowne Arms between 7:30 and 8:00. We'll ask the hostess if there's a 14ers group there, and if not will see about getting a table or two in the bar area if possible. If you do show up and are looking for the group, ask the hostess. Hope to see some folks there!
- Fight Club
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Thanks so much for doing this, all of you. I logged on to this site for the first time in almost a year, and I wanted to post a thread to ask everyone to remember my brother for just a moment today. I was so happy to see that not everyone had already forgotten David, and that devastating day two years ago. Thank you all so much, and God bless.

I love & miss my brother.
Holly Newsome
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

TalusMonkey

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Two years ago today my brother died on Humboldt. I was just hoping that you all..his friends and comrades, might remember David for one moment today.

Thanks, and be careful out there.

Holly Newsome,
TalusMonkey's little sister
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

Holly,

He will always be in our thoughts...
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: TalusMonkey

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

TalusMonkeys sister wrote:Two years ago today my brother died on Humboldt. I was just hoping that you all..his friends and comrades, might remember David for one moment today.

Holly Newsome,
Hi Holly,
Just wanted to let you know that I thought about David frequently during my climb of Humboldt this past Friday, May 7th, 2010.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: TalusMonkey

Post by Mountainspirit »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
TalusMonkeys sister wrote:Two years ago today my brother died on Humboldt. I was just hoping that you all..his friends and comrades, might remember David for one moment today.

Holly Newsome,
Hi Holly,
Just wanted to let you know that I thought about David frequently during my climb of Humboldt this past Friday, May 7th, 2010.
Bill,
The depth of your character resonates through this singular post, as well as throughout this amazing site. Thanks for all that you do!
Holly,
God bless you and your family!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison