Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020 READ

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I hope that everybody involved, including SAR, makes it home tonight in the best possible shape.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

Thoughts and prayers with Kevin and SAR tonight! Hoping for the best!
glissader131
14ers: 1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glissader131 »

My prayers are with Kevin and the SAR guys.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Kevin and Travis: Our family is praying for you right now. God be with you.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
jduncan
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by jduncan »

dmccool wrote:2 Chronicles 6:19
"Yet give attention to your servant's prayer and his plea for mercy, O LORD my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence."
Well said! Our thoughts and prayers are with Kevin, you and everyone else affected by this accident.
Erik Weihenmayer - "There are summits everywhere. You just have to know where to look."
http://mountainchild.org
http://www.vintagesparkphoto.com
http://joshrduncan.wordpress.com/
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

dude, of course you did the right thing, you must go for help.

Im wondering about when he said "after 30 minutes with no response from SAR" - is there rudimentary 2-way communication on the SPOT? When you push that button, how do you know it has been received?
slopestyle
14ers: 14  4  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by slopestyle »

Sending positive vibes to your friend and to the SaR folks up there right now, and you as well. Lets hope that those T-Storms that are forcasted tonight are much less severe than expected and that the rain never develops.

~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Sending positive vibes in Kevin's direction. How terrible......for both of you. Stay strong !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Goodness - I hope he is OK - that is a tough decision you had to make but I think you did the right thing. Whatever the outcome, don't blame yourself! I hope he is going to survive. Keeping my thoughts for him.
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

Everyone, sar sent a heli up and it crashed.. foot team moving in. Yes alamosa sar
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

tenpins wrote:dude, of course you did the right thing, you must go for help.

Im wondering about when he said "after 30 minutes with no response from SAR" - is there rudimentary 2-way communication on the SPOT? When you push that button, how do you know it has been received?

Well what happened is the spots actually were not seding off info since about 8:40, so when i got back i was reassured i was not just crazy and they DID malfunction. But, if it worked correctly, there would be a flashing light alerting us that the message is being sent.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

tenpins wrote:dude, of course you did the right thing, you must go for help.

You can read about the SOS function on page 9 of this document (page 16 of the user's manual): http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/ENG ... 6_2010.pdf

I'm not sure which version of SPOT was being used, but I know that there was a recall of the earlier models of the SPOT II. This does give me pause for concern, though. Not too long ago, I purchased one myself (after they corrected the issue). The only communication that you receive from the unit is in the form or either red or green flashing lights. Green means the message went through, red means it didn't. Travis can check his SPOT shared page to see if the SOS message was actually received by the GPS satellites.