Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Postby AlabamaTLC » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:49 pm

A truly remarkable young man...so tragic; prayers and sympathy to family and friends. Travis, you made the right decision. RIP Kevin, and continue to climb those mountains in Glorious High!

Postby CHWitte » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:01 pm

If anyone is interested in giving directly to Lutheran High School Parker in honor of Kevin, here is the link to their giving page.

http://www.lhsparker.org/inside/give.html

Click on the green button that says "donate now" to their tuition assistance fund which will help more students like Kevin attend the school. Scroll down on the giving page to where it says "Lutheran High School Parker." The top of the page will say "Lutheran High School Denver" but you can be specific with your donation when you scroll down to LHSP. You can then add a note at the bottom of the page to make the donation specifically in honor of Kevin.

Their home page also has a short news section about Kevin if you want to read that at the following link:
http://www.lhsparker.org/

Postby globreal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 pm

travis19877 wrote:If something like the plaque above is what we want to do, I will recontact Kansas and see if he can find a price for something like that.

I would like to see a plaque like the one for Catherine Pugin. Travis, why not check into it and let us all know the cost and where to contribute.

And in the next few months we can research where a legitimate/acceptable location will be to place it on the mountain. I will be a happy to assist you when it's time to place it.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby globreal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 pm

I hope it will be possible for some of those from our climbing community to attend the Celebration Service of Kevin's Life.

Here are the details:

Monday, June 21, 2010 10am
Cherry Hills Community Church
3900 Grace Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Directions:
On the CO-470 go to the University Blvd exit. Turn south.
Highlands Ranch Pkwy Turn right or west.
Fairview Pkwy turn left or south.
Grace Blvd. turn left or east.
The church is on your right.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby greenwok » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:37 pm

I'll be coming up from the south. Given the uncertainty of traffic on I-25 I plan on arriving in the area early say 8/8:30 - I believe there is a Marriott there west side of I-25 off Lincoln near the HP building - any of you available and interested are welcome to join me for a quick breakfast followed by a time of reflection and prayer for the family and the service in general (might do this over at the church following breakfast). Take my number along: 714.393.3091 also my e-mail should be in my profile as I'll have the bberry with me.

KG

globreal wrote:I hope it will be possible for some of those from our climbing community to attend the Celebration Service of Kevin's Life.

Here are the details:

Monday, June 21, 2010 10am
Cherry Hills Community Church
3900 Grace Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Directions:
On the CO-470 go to the University Blvd exit. Turn south.
Highlands Ranch Pkwy Turn right or west.
Fairview Pkwy turn left or south.
Grace Blvd. turn left or east.
The church is on your right.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Postby Laird » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:38 pm

The memorial service for Kevin was beautiful.
God is Great...
ONWARDS Kevin you have touched many.

Postby Presto » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I do wish I could have attended, but work obligations did not permit it. You were all in my thoughts and prayers. I knew it would be a beautiful service.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Agree with Laird. The service was very emotional for me but beautiful nonetheless. As was said in the service Kevin's ongoing inspiration will have profound effects on many many people. I can say personally he is definitely having a profound positive effect on me.

"Onwards"

Postby weschun » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I also think that it was one of the most beautiful services I have ever been to.

I was expecting a funeral. It was more of a celebration of the life of an inspiring young man.

Onwards.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby tenpins » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:33 pm

weschun wrote:I also think that it was one of the most beautiful services I have ever been to.

I was expecting a funeral. It was more of a celebration of the life of an inspiring young man.

Onwards.

Im glad to hear Kevin can still move people even after death. It is very unfortunate for him to have passed so young.

Postby dcbates80911 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:07 pm

As has been said, the service was very good. It wasn't treated as a sad occasion, but one celebrating life. Very good!!!

Onwards...
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby Monroe11 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:51 pm

I've thought about Kevin, Travis and their Families since the accident. Today was the day it all hit hard. Even though I was not at the services, my thoughts and prayers were. I've done nothing but search and read online about the young Man I met and climbed with once. I watched the video he made from his encounter on the Bells. I've read so many posts here from ones he knew him better than I. Kevin is truely a remarkable young Man, and lead by example. I would be honored to climb with you Travis in his memory, and I will dedicate my Summits to Kevin. Even though I only met him once, he has forever impacted my life.
The Man said TA-DA!!!

PreviousNext