Climber Falls 80 Feet - RIP

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Falls 80 Feet - RIP

Post by kara »

came to my FB feed via the ACC:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_15345623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So sad.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
M_Sandoval52
14ers: 39 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (7)

Post by M_Sandoval52 »

The Spirit of one touches many. Sorry for your lose.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Very sad. Condolences to family & friends. RIP,,,
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Protective equipment failed...that is really sad. He probably didn't do anything wrong. RIP
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Condolences to Joe's friends and family.

Don't know if I heard about it back in June. Lame that the "professionals" reported this as recent. Condolences nevertheless. Still sad to hear.
Last edited by Johnson on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

This accident happened in June 2010.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

There is some ridiculous thread necromancy going on, but an investigation by RMRG determined that the climber's rope was cut while falling over a sharp edge http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/osYe ... ailure.php
Prior to the fall, Miller was near or above the last piece of protection (P) above a slight bulge. When he fell, this top piece of protection failed. Blue lines represent motion.

Miller fell vertically past a bulge until the rope began to catch his fall. The next piece of protection (Black dot) held, but was slightly climber's right of Miller's trajectory. As the rope pulled tight, Miller swung ("pendulummed") slightly to the right, dragging the rope over a sharp protruding "knife" edge (Dashed green arrow) just below the protection that held (Black dot). The rope probably slid along the edge (movement parallel to the edge) while under the high tension caused by nearly arresting the fall. The edge severed the rope, and Miller fell to the ground, suffering fatal injuries.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack