Long Live TalusMonkey

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Long Live TalusMonkey

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Can't believe it's been 5 years already.

RIP, big fella.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

CorduroyCalves wrote:Can't believe it's been 5 years already.
I can't either. I re-read some old emails from him recently and it was a nice reminder of his fun personality, and even harder to believe he's gone period. Shawn raised a Mickey's in his honor on trail yesterday! Thanks for posting, Steve!
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Wow, 5 years. I was still in high school at the time and i remember staying up half the night refreshing the update thread. RIP.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

USAKeller wrote:I can't either. I re-read some old emails from him recently and it was a nice reminder of his fun personality, and even harder to believe he's gone period. Shawn raised a Mickey's in his honor on trail yesterday! Thanks for posting, Steve!
I miss some of the old, crazy threads. Oh well, they live on in memory. :D

Rest in peace David.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Many have tried but none have succeeded in replacing his presence on this site.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet David. However, some of the things I do today are because of him. So he made a positive influence on me (and I am sure many others) even though we never hiked together.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

globreal wrote:Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet David. However, some of the things I do today are because of him. So he made a positive influence on me (and I am sure many others) even though we never hiked together.
+1

I also never had the opportunity, but from his trip reports and what I have heard of him, I really missed out. RIP
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Never got to meet him, but I think we would have gotten along well (although it seems like he got along well with everyone, so that may not be a big feat). Very glad that his spirit lives on!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

5 years. Wow.

Even though I've made plans several times to climb Humboldt again since then, for one reason or another I've never returned to that mountain since that day. I intend to, I just can't believe I haven't been able to make it happen for 5 years.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

Five goes by quickly and it seems like yesterday we were hiking Estes Cone, him in his Hooters T-shirt. He was unique in every way and his fun loving outlook on life was something that he openly shared with everyone. His was a life cut much too short. Rest in peace my friend.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

I lurked for a while before joining the site and used to get a kick out of his reports/triumphs/escapades.

I am saddened I never got to meet TM, as I know we would have been friends.

He is in my thoughts every time I hike, and my prayers quite often. He will never be forgotten for so many here feel as I do.

Sorry we lost you bud. A Colt .45 and a shot of Captain Morgans in your honor.

Brian
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

What would David say? David could climb like a goat.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.