Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by axbauer »

Hello

My name is Taylor Gray and I am the wife of Chris Gray (ChrisFol) - an avid member of this site and a lover of all outdoor activities Colorado has to offer.

I am writing to inform you that he was the climber found 8/29 at Crestone Peak, after falling to his death.

I want to express my deepest graditude to those who were hiking with Chris, because you were sharing his most wonderful moments. Also, to those 24 beautiful souls who searched and brought him back - even stayed with his body over night - I am so thankful for you.

Again, to those individuals with Chris at the time (or anyone else) who would like to get a hold of me please call me 720-428-9990 -

In this time of grief I ask that the next time you ascend a peak, please do so safely and in memory of those whose attempts have failed.

I will let this community know about the services, so those who want to attend can.

It will be at a base of a 14er, outside, with plenty of beer.....the only way Chris would have wanted it.
Details to follow.

May we all heal.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by Brian C »

Very sorry for your loss. RIP Chris.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

I'm so sorry, Taylor. I can tell he was a great guy. A few of our climbs got cancelled due to me getting sick in January. Let me know if there is anything I can do. RIP Chris. He'll forever be with all of us on the mountains
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Taylor (and family and friends), I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
evepin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by evepin »

Taylor, deepest condolences - the mountains have taken many lives, but still draw many to explore their mysteries. As lovers of the Colorado high country, as your husband was, we are all together as family, and share your grief. Wishing you the very best, and may you alway cherish the warmest memories of your husband.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I simply cannot believe this.

I shared a day in the mountains, a very memorable one, with Chris in December of 2011. He was a good guy, and had a passion for the mountains.

This is a very sad week for Colorado climbers.

RIP Chris
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

We are so sorry for your loss Taylor. Thank you for coming on here and letting us know. I know for me, at least, I just get crushed when I hear news like this. We have lost another member of the community and we all grieve for it. Please do let us know if you need anything.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Taylor, I’m sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
mtnklutz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnklutz »

So very sorry to hear this. Taylor, you have my deepest sympathies.
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
Ernest Hemingway
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

I am sorry for your loss. May you find peace in this difficult time.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
alpspitze
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpspitze »

I'm very sorry for your loss Taylor. I wish I could attend the service. May Chris rest in peace.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I'm speechless...this is the second friend who's died in the mountains this week. I never had the chance to hike with Chris, but I met him and he went out of his way to help me. Always seemed like a really nice guy, and we were PMing even last week about climbing something this winter.

Taylor, my sincere condolences for your loss...may he rest in peace. :(
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks