Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by milan »

This is a horrible week, I am so sad. RIP Chris. Peace to you and your family.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

So sorry for your loss Taylor. The hiking/climbing community here mourns with you. :(
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

Sorry for your loss Taylor, you are in my thoughts.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I had the pleasure of hiking with Chris last year, and he was one of those guys who would bend over backward for a complete stranger. He allowed me to park my car in his garage and invited me into his home to meet his wife, Taylor, before we left. We exchanged frequent PMs over the past few months but unfortunately, our schedules never again aligned. Taylor, you have my sincere condolences and I wish you peace and love in this difficult time.

Our community has lost another stalwart member. I will carry his memory with me, as well as Rob's.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Bob
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Taylor,

I am terribly sorry for your loss and send my biggest condolences to you & your family during this tough time. I never met Chris, but definitely recognize him and just want to wish everyone out there safe travels as clearly it's been a very rough week. RIP Chris...
Freeze
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Freeze »

Taylor,

There are no words that I can offer other than the mountaineering community grieves next to you.

Jason
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
RiceSnob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by RiceSnob »

Our thoughts and prayers with you Taylor at this time, if there anything you need please don't hesitate to let's us know. We're here for you.

Tiffany
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Taylor, thank you for telling those of us who didn't know your husband, Chris, a little bit about him. The special bond that connects all climbers and hikers to this sport, this activity, seem to bleed through all of us. In many ways you describe us when describing him, and in that sense his spirit will never pass. The footsteps in which we follow are made a little clearer because of these spirits. I am sorry for your loss, I am happy he was able to be your friend and husband for the years he was. Ever Upward.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Taylor - it was a rough night last night for some of us that knew Chris as well.

Thank you again for letting us now, I am happy to see that you had somewhere to turn.

Please do let us know about the memorial service, I know that many of us would like to celebrate Chris's life.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

I can't imagine what you're going through. You're in our thoughts.
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

Taylor, I am so sorry for your loss.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir