Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 am

Very glad to see someone sharing pics of his life :) and times summiting mountains with friends.
Hope their eclipse by recent events :( soon yields in favor of those memories for those who knew him.
Anima eius per Dei misericordiam requiescat in pace.

Mountains' scale often cloaks their perpetual collapse to passersby.
I remember hiking, holding up a hard copy of the Route Page and soberly spotting fissured changes large and small.
If sharing photos helps any (friends, family, 14ers) unfamiliar with North Maroon relate to the gravity of its world...
Standing on the sands within its hourglass is indeed splendor on the edge.
High in the second gulley looking across
Cliff bands atop the second gulley
Further up (doesn't lend itself to the use of pro')
Looking down on the "precipice" which the Chimney leads you to.
Near the top the stuff slides easily. There was a cairn in the distance for a non-standard route across it.
Chimney
Descent into second gulley (note cairn on left).
Further down the second gulley. Gives an idea of rock, slope, conditions, etc.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Man Jerk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:22 am

I do not recall if I posted the memorial information or not. The Service will be held tomorrow(wed) at 1pm at mountain springs church.

Tara (Derek's wife) asked me to pass along her love and thanks to all of those who have ever hiked with Derek. She reads this thread, as well as Dereks entire family. It makes her feel good to know that Derek had so many people around and touched so many lives. To those who post well wishes and prayers: this too has given her solace and she appreciates every comment.
My name is Mark Janzen. Dereks family and my family have been friends for just over 4 years. Our first borns were born 2 weeks apart and have grown up together. There are others which were closer to Derk than I but he was a member of our family. He loved my kids like his own and I love his kids like they are my own. We enjoyed family trips into the mountains, taking our kids camping, family trips to Ouray, my first few 14ers, skiing, snowshoeing, carving pumpkins, easter dinners, birthdays. Love and peace.

Again, thank you to the 14ers comminity for the outpouring of support, on behalf of Tara, Dereks whole family, myself and my family.
Last edited by Man Jerk on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby I Man » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 am

RIP Derek. Sending good thoughts to family and friends.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby rickinco123 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 am

The photos of Derek are a great memorial. The people on this site share a desire to live life to its fulllest. Condolenses to his family and friends.

Best wishes to those on the scene who witnessed this.

Postby burtondr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 am

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152099151270713.896297.795585712&type=1&l=990c3dbbfd

Hey Nathan, this is Roger from Focus days. Thanks for sharing the pics, I'm still numb and heartbroken but it was good to see the memories.
Thanks Mark also for the contact info, some of his former work-mates hope to be at the service tomorrow.
Though Derek passionately enjoyed the mountains he was even more passionate in his family life, love for God and commitment to others. I weep in my soul for his wife, kids and those close to him.
Rogerb

Postby Man Jerk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 am

Come say hi to me Roger. Easiest way to find me is to look for the really, really, really blonde 4 year old girl.

Postby JJJR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am

Although I did not know Derek I have been really touched by the story. We share a complete love for the beauty of nature. The John Muir quote in my signature line has special meaning for me.

My family is praying for all of you - his family, friends and those involved (including SAR). Peace to all of you!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you...
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. John Muir

Buy the ticket, take the ride. H.S.T.

Postby pucker_factor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 pm

RIP Derek. I met him at the rei garage sale in the springs last year. a friend told me this tread was on this site. bummer that this is the reason i am here. Rest well my friend. Jealous that you are in paradise! Prayers to Tara and your family.

Postby summit21 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 pm

RIP Derek, Condolences to his family and friends.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Postby Bob Kocher » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm

To echo Nathan Hoobler, Derek was a close friend and along with Nathan, my default climbing partner. We shared amongst other things a love for the backcountry, but the growing friendship between our families over the last few years brought as much joy as standing on every summit. Most recently, our families enjoyed this past Labor Day weekend together in Gunnison. My last climb with Derek was two weeks ago as we scrambled up the Red Diamond face of Avery Peak just north of Crested Butte (Derek on the summit with the Bells in the background).
Attachments
IMG_1602.jpg
Summit of Avery Peak (Sept 2, 2012)
IMG_1602.jpg (172.08 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 pm

RIP Derek. Condolences to his family and friends.

Postby anasarca76 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm

It seemed like he loved the mountains and really enjoyed every moment climbing, its so sad to hear this news... RIP Derek

PreviousNext