Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm very saddened by this news. Best wishes to family and friends as they cope with this tragedy.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby fleetmack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Rest in peace, man, I'll say a prayer for your wife, kids, friends, and family. You seemed like a good guy from what I've read.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby JB99 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:35 pm

My condolences to Derek's friends, family and all those around them dealing with this loss. Thank you to everyone who has shared photos and memories of Derek, somehow seeing his smile in all of those mountain pictures helps me wrap my head around this. I also want to send my thoughts out to Ian, Ed and everyone who was involved on the mountain that day.

I was at Maroon Lake with Jessica and our dog when this all took place. I planned on doing the traverse that day, S-N, but woke up to a look on Jessica's face that said I better not leave her alone all day while I went to climb some mountains. So, marital bliss being put first, we just hung out around the lake with the tourist hordes for a bit, snapping photos of the Bells. This is probably my best shot from the day, it was taken at 9:21 a.m.

If any of Derek's family/friends wants a digital copy I'd be happy to send it to them - just shoot me a PM with your email address. If the family would like, I'd be happy to get a print done and send it to them. Anyone who is in contact with them can send me a PM and let me know, or post on here and we'll figure out the details.

Last edited by JB99 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45 pm

RIP. Sounds like Derek was an incredible guy. It's been a terrible year in the Elks and on the 14ers in general. Thanks to all the climbers who helped during the tragedy. It's people like that who make this forum, and more importantly this community, a great one to be a part of.

Postby kenike » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Mark, if I could attend tomorrow I would. Please pass my condolences to Derek's family, as well as to yourself. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

God Bless.

Postby Man Jerk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 pm

JB99 wrote:If any of Derek's family/friends wants a digital copy I'd be happy to send it to them. If the family would like, I'd be happy to get a print done and send it to them. Anyone who is in contact with them can shoot me a PM and let me know, or post on here and we'll figure out the details.

I sent you a PM.

Mark.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Okay, here it goes:

I suck at this, so please forgive me. I did not know Derek, but I knew of him well. Once of his closest friends, Nathan Hoobler, is among my most valued friends and climbing partners. We climb together frequently and talk constantly. He spoke of Derek many times and he was always someone that I wanted to climb with.

Nathan is a friend that I hold in the highest regard. He has taught me more about myself than words can explain and has even taken my son under his wing. I have no doubt that Derek was the same type of man. I don't know what I would do if I lost my friend and brother Nathan. I know that he is going through that pain now. He will be attending his memorial tomorrow. I cannot imagine what Derek's family is going through right now.

I don't know why I'm writting this. But hey, if you have someone in your life that is truly a friend.... tell them how you feel.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17 am

JB, that is a beautiful photo. It is especially poignant it was taken approximately when Derek fell.

I won’t be at the service, but I’ll take a walk around that time to think about Derek and his family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby mtndude3737 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 am

My heart goes out to all the family and friends. Always sad to see the mountaineering community, family, and friends lose a great one.

Prayers go out to you all. May peace be with you.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby reinselc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 pm

I am so saddened to hear this. I climbed this route solo, 2 months ago. I am a 33-year old father of 3. There are no words for deep saddness that I feel for the loss fellow climber. My deepest condolences for all of his family and friends.

Previous