Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
djkest wrote:I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Thanks for your note. We appreciate your expertise.

Not sure what that means, but hopefully they will stop reporting this irrelevant and misleading detail.

Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.

I am not positive but I think the reference to the absence of a harness is an effort to eliminate the failure of an anchor, rope, hardware or climbing partner's belay in the case of a fallen climber. In addition, the section where the fall originated is a section many climbers elect to "rope up and down on". Just thought to offer a different perspective. Hope it help those who may have been offended

Postby Nathan Hoobler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152099151270713.896297.795585712&type=1&l=990c3dbbfd

Postby flintster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152099151270713.896297.795585712&type=1&l=990c3dbbfd

Those are great pics from some great routes. Looks like quite the mountaineer. Thanks for sharing those.

Postby Kitten » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 pm

This was awful news to hear. We found out yesterday that Derek was a relative of one of our relatives, never met him, but we feel the sorrow. Condolences to close family and friends, RIP Derek.
All, be safe out there.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby Man Jerk » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Nathan, this is Mark. I am sittin with Bob, Tara, Dereks mom and sister and were just talking about you. Just sharing memories and looking at pictures.

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Nathan,

Thank you for sharing those great pictures.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby ulvetano » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Ugh. Great pics, great routes, great experience, great smiles. Such a sad event.

Postby rking007 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I just finished going through your photo album Nate and I was struck by the last pic entitled "A preview of heaven, climbing mountains together". Derek, may you climb higher than ever before with your Father who gave you so much joy down here. Prayers for peace and strength and rest for the family and protection and understanding for his children as they grow. Prayers for sleep and rest for those who witnessed and courageously rushed to save. You are heroes. This is just so sad.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Gareth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Rock-a-Fella wrote:
Gareth wrote:Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.

I am not positive but I think the reference to the absence of a harness is an effort to eliminate the failure of an anchor, rope, hardware or climbing partner's belay in the case of a fallen climber. In addition, the section where the fall originated is a section many climbers elect to "rope up and down on". Just thought to offer a different perspective. Hope it help those who may have been offended

Good point. I had only considered that it kind of sounded like something reckless had been done (which we have no reason to believe was the case*). However, it could have been meant in the other way, as you suggest.

*I in no way whatsoever am trying to start a safety discussion
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Gareth wrote:
Rock-a-Fella wrote:
Gareth wrote:Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.

Good point. I had only considered that it kind of sounded like something reckless had been done (which we have no reason to believe was the case*). However, it could have been meant in the other way, as you suggest.

*I in no way whatsoever am trying to start a safety discussion

I don't think that any reasonable person would extrapolate that from your post. Actually to the contrary, that you were defending what you thought might be considered a negative comment about a fallen brother. No worries, Gareth. I think everyone is ok with the position you took.

Postby mattdecoste » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 am

Oh no. I am sitting here totally bewildered and shocked. I was on top of Pyramid Peak around noon on Saturday celebrating my 40th birthday with some climbing buddies when we saw and heard the helicopters across the valley near N. Maroon. Another guy on the summit with us commented that a helicopter near Maroon was a bad sign and we all hoped it was a rescue and not a recovery. When we got back to the trailhead we heard it was a fatality and our hearts sank. I felt impressed that I should pray for the climber's family.

After seeing the pictures of Derek I realized I know him! Several years back we played basketball together every Monday night at a church in Colorado Springs. And more recently he began going to the church I attend here in Colorado Springs, Mountain Springs Church. It's hard for me to fathom this. Derek was the guy I always wanted to have on my team. He was an excellent athlete, kind, always smiling, kind of a quiet guy. He was a man of faith. He is with his Saviour now. He was a friend. My condolences to his wife, parents, family, and friends. I will miss you Derek. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to be blessed by your life and friendship.

Postby fox_inthesnow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 am

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

RIP Derek. These pictures are a perfect reflection of the joy we all find in these mountains...

PreviousNext