Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RMNP fall

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

RMNP fall

Postby 2giqs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Woman dies in hiking fall at Rocky Mountain National Park
Posted: 09/30/2012 11:49:43 AM MDT
September 30, 2012 5:53 PM GMTUpdated: 09/30/2012 11:53:36 AM MDTBy Tom McGhee
The Denver Postdenverpost.com

Rocky Mountain National Park rangers and a rescue unit are recovering the body of a 50-year-old woman who fell to her death Saturday while hiking in who was hiking on Deer Mountain.

At 5:50 p.m., a caller reported the Littleton woman had fallen 40 to 50 feet on the north side of the mountain, where she was hiking with a family member.

Park rangers reached her body at 8:10 p.m., and stayed with her body overnight, according to a release.

Her body was approximately 3 miles from the Deer Mountain Trailhead in rocky, steep terrain.

Four members of Larimer County Search and Rescue are assisting park rangers in recovering the body.

The woman's name is being withheld until next of kin are notified, according to the release.

The Deer Mountain Trailhead remains open. The north area of Deer Mountain will be closed until the recovery efforts are completed.

Tom McGhee: 303-954-1671, tmcghee@denverpost.com or twitter.com/dpmcghee

Read more: Woman dies in hiking fall at Rocky Mountain National Park - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21666914/woman-dies-fall-at-rocky-mountain-national-park#comments#ixzz280GjTeBt
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Re: RMNP fall

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm

OneArmSteve wrote:There are some cliffs/steeper sections on the southside of Deer...a few routes up like the mid 5~5'7s I think....never been to the north to speak for that aspect.

Theres a huge rock face on the north side. Never heard of anyone climbing it
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:35 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26882148/feds-indict-highlands-ranch-man-wifes-2012-fatal
A Highlands Ranch man arrested in the 2012 death of his second wife at Rocky Mountain National Park is also being investigated in connection with the 1995 death of his first wife, officials said Thursday.

Harold Henthorn, 58, is accused by federal officials in the Sept. 29, 2012, death of his second wife, Toni Henthorn. An indictment on first-degree murder was filed Wednesday by Colorado's U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver federal court.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby peter303 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 am

Or the bride convicted of pushing her groom to death in Glacier last year. The motive was unclear.

Postby timstich » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Man, that guy pushed his wife off a cliff to her death. I'm sure he climbed down to her to make sure she was dead before anyone came, too. Can you imagine how he set up the car to fall on the previous wife? Sickening.

The woman in Montana that killed her husband of a few day was just really nuts from what it sounds like. She didn't even take out a policy on him.

Postby oldschool » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:40 am

Innocent until proven guilty people.....everyone take a deep breath.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby timstich » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:11 pm

oldschool wrote:Innocent until proven guilty people.....everyone take a deep breath.

Yeah, right. His first wife got killed when the car fell on her while they worked on it just he and her. This wife had 4.5 million in insurance on her life. Who caries that kind of insurance? He filed for it two days after she died. You want to buy a lottery ticket on that being his second murder?

Postby tenpins » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm

you're a great american. You know basically nothing about any of this, but want everyone to believe "you know". Hopefully you end up on the wrong side of a jury one day, with enough of the same 'yeah right' people on it too.

Postby JChitwood » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 pm

I used to work life insurance claims for State Farm. Filing the claim the date of death was not unusual, almost all were filed by the second day after death.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood

Postby khuff6ft6 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:59 am

JChitwood wrote:I used to work life insurance claims for State Farm. Filing the claim the date of death was not unusual, almost all were filed by the second day after death.

I once worked for state farm too, definitely a true statement about life insurance

Postby ajkagy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:28 pm

khuff6ft6 wrote:
JChitwood wrote:I used to work life insurance claims for State Farm. Filing the claim the date of death was not unusual, almost all were filed by the second day after death.

I once worked for state farm too, definitely a true statement about life insurance

unrelated, but I worked for State Farm in high school as an intern, grew up in Bloomington, IL where their headquarters are and I think half my friends in IL work for State Farm now...totally true about the life insurance. Did any of you work at the headquarters office? Small world :-D

Next