What Not to Do

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What Not to Do

Post by ThuChad »

This doesn't make sense at all. If he was truly from Crestone he knew or should have known what he was getting into. Maybe he didn't plan on making it out alive.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Crestone isn't the most rational town. The "locals" there aren't quite the same as other mountain towns, if you know what I mean.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Jim Davies wrote:Crestone isn't the most rational town. The "locals" there aren't quite the same as other mountain towns, if you know what I mean.
I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment. I had my first experience driving through there this last summer... It is definitely a "different" kind of town... but hard to put into words. :-)
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

KentonB wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Crestone isn't the most rational town. The "locals" there aren't quite the same as other mountain towns, if you know what I mean.
I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment. I had my first experience driving through there this last summer... It is definitely a "different" kind of town... but hard to put into words. :-)
Hmm, now I want to check it out...
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

I've put the Wet Mountain Tribune on my favorites list - just on the strength of their one sentence per paragraph writing policy. Some newspapers will drag a paragraph out to two sentences, or even more.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lol
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Cool article about Crestone. Maybe he was on spiritual journey.

http://mobile.usnews.com/news/sacred-pl ... takes-root" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

KentonB wrote: Jim Davies wrote:Crestone isn't the most rational town. The "locals" there aren't quite the same as other mountain towns, if you know what I mean.

I tried to put it into words in my trip report on KC/Challenger ...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

](*,) ](*,)

Poor SAR having to spend so much time in the cold to find this guy. They should have arrested his friends for aiding and abetting.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

dude...Dude....DUDE!!!! :wft:
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

KentonB wrote:
It's a little-known fact that multiple scenes from the film "Deliverance," including the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene, were filmed in Crestone. The banjo player in that scene is currently serving as the mayor.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

MountainMedic wrote:The banjo player in that scene is currently serving as the mayor.
That is some amazing trivia. Who is it? Not Ronny Cox? Or Billy Redden (the inbred hillbilly boy)?