Layton Kor Dies

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Layton Kor Dies

Post by Furthermore »

He had a good run for his money. A true badass.

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/la ... BFeed-News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.climbing.com/news/layton-kor-is-dead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Layton Kor Dies

Post by B[3] »

Thanks for posting.

Such a huge influence on climbing. I'm glad I had the chance to meet him last year at an event in Boulder. I've climbed a bunch of his routes in Eldo and am always amazed by what he was able to do.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Always sad to hear about the passing of a legend. Although something tells me that if he could he would come back and report that dying is way easier than it actually is.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Some of the last interviews will be here when its completed:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vagabond- ... 2897490442
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Sad day.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

we used to always say "beware the kor 9+". RIP
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Another legend passes. I never met Layton but heard great things. The few of his routes that I've climbed are something else for sure.

Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I have a book I bought in 1975 or 1976 titled "Climb". It's the history of climbing in Colorado. Layton is forever a huge part of the history, and this book documents all of his energy and prowess and hilarious energy he put into climbing. I read that book, cover to cover, in the mall where I bought it! Thank you Layton for being an influence in my life of climbing.
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

oldschool wrote:I have a book I bought in 1975 or 1976 titled "Climb". It's the history of climbing in Colorado. Layton is forever a huge part of the history, and this book documents all of his energy and prowess and hilarious energy he put into climbing. I read that book, cover to cover, in the mall where I bought it! Thank you Layton for being an influence in my life of climbing.
That same book introduced me to Kor back in 2003 when I happened across it in the K-State library. I never dreamed that I would see or hear the man in person. Five years later, in Boulder, I did. It was a privilege that I still am grateful for having been given.

Maybe they have station wagons to race in heaven, as well as rocks to climb, and dogs to rescue.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

His legendary routes go well beyond Colorado, as many know. I recall doing a rather frightening Cor traverse in Sabino Canyon (Tucson, Arizona) many years ago.

And only yesterday did we gaze upon Cor's Corner in the Garden of the Gods.

His name and legend will be with us for many years to come.

I think Stewart Green knew him pretty well, championing efforts to help with his ailing health in the latter years. Stewart, are you around?
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I didn't know Layton well, but I stayed at his home in Kingman a couple of times. He and his wife were kind and gracious, and made me and my friends feel very much at home.

He seemed like a big kid in a lot of ways - a really big kid, with a lot going on "upstairs," and a whole lot of energy. He took up a lot of space in a room, and seemed more comfortable outdoors, where he could swing his long arms and legs around and not hit anything - or anyone.

Layton couldn't sit still - his mind was always going, and his body was always trying to catch up. He was intelligent, funny, quick-witted, and a great conversationalist. I remember one evening, "Patriot Games" was on TV and he muted all the action scenes and provided his own dialogue. He was hilarious. Some people are spectators in life - Layton wasn't a spectator. He couldn't even watch television without jumping into the action.

Layton wasn't slow, like an old man, even in his 70s. He was lively, animated... he'd light up when he talked about climbs he was going to do, get very excited about the prospects of a new crag, a new route. He didn't rest on his laurels, brag about his accomplishments, or dwell on the past - didn't seem to care a lick about what he had done, but was much more excited to talk about the next climb. He was a young man in his mind and in his spirit. His damn body just gave out too soon.

We did a few hikes, and went climbing one time. I have only one picture, at the bottom of this trip report. Layton worked on a new route that day and we all followed. That was a good day out. He and the other guys made it that way.

I'm so glad I met him. He reminds me of why we're here. We may not all be magnificent climbers, but we don't have to be spectators, either. I think about him and am reminded to leave the past behind, live in the moment, and look to the future, the next challenge, the next climb. Squeeze every drop of life out of the body you've got, while you've got it. Don't be a spectator, be part of the action. I think he inspired a lot of people that way, made a lot of people want to do more, live more, be more like Layton Kor.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

susanjoypaul wrote:...He reminds me of why we're here. We may not all be magnificent climbers, but we don't have to be spectators, either. I think about him and am reminded to leave the past behind, live in the moment, and look to the future, the next challenge, the next climb. Squeeze every drop of life out of the body you've got, while you've got it. Don't be a spectator, be part of the action. I think he inspired a lot of people that way, made a lot of people want to do more, live more, be more like Layton Kor.
Well said, Susan. Thanks for posting this.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down