Layton Kor Dies

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Layton Kor Dies

Post by crestone14ers »

Layton was a mason, a bricklayer. He had the strongest hands of anyone whom I've ever met.

I got into climbing just as he was exiting and had the opportunity to climb with folks who were common to us both.

He could climb his way up and around almost anything in the vertical world. He nailed like no other and was totally fearless. =D>

Rest in Peace.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

I went to his first Speech in Boulder around 2008 I think. To be honest I wan't really interested in going, my climbing partner bought the tickets. When he came out everyone gave him a 10 minute standing ovation, he was truly touched, no bull sh*t. I'll never forget him talking about his first ascent of the Diamond, specifically about being yelled at by the rangers for feeding the marmots, and he would talk about stopping for a bivy in the the middle of a wall like it was no big deal. He kept talking about eating "hot jello", made me laugh. He spent a lot of time on the Dolomites, apparently it was his favorite after Eldo, he loved Eldo. He met Pat Ament when he took over a rescue in Eldo during a snow storm, back then he was the only one who could do it. I waited for him to talk about the Eiger but he never mentioned it.
SAR Jim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SAR Jim »

Very sad to hear. He was a true inspiration to many . Thank you , Layton ,and goodby , RIP
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

susanjoypaul wrote:I didn't know Layton well, but I stayed at his home in Kingman a couple of times. He and his wife were kind and gracious, and made me and my friends feel very much at home.

He seemed like a big kid in a lot of ways - a really big kid, with a lot going on "upstairs," and a whole lot of energy. He took up a lot of space in a room, and seemed more comfortable outdoors, where he could swing his long arms and legs around and not hit anything - or anyone.

Layton couldn't sit still - his mind was always going, and his body was always trying to catch up. He was intelligent, funny, quick-witted, and a great conversationalist. I remember one evening, "Patriot Games" was on TV and he muted all the action scenes and provided his own dialogue. He was hilarious. Some people are spectators in life - Layton wasn't a spectator. He couldn't even watch television without jumping into the action.

Layton wasn't slow, like an old man, even in his 70s. He was lively, animated... he'd light up when he talked about climbs he was going to do, get very excited about the prospects of a new crag, a new route. He didn't rest on his laurels, brag about his accomplishments, or dwell on the past - didn't seem to care a lick about what he had done, but was much more excited to talk about the next climb. He was a young man in his mind and in his spirit. His damn body just gave out too soon.

We did a few hikes, and went climbing one time. I have only one picture, at the bottom of this trip report. Layton worked on a new route that day and we all followed. That was a good day out. He and the other guys made it that way.

I'm so glad I met him. He reminds me of why we're here. We may not all be magnificent climbers, but we don't have to be spectators, either. I think about him and am reminded to leave the past behind, live in the moment, and look to the future, the next challenge, the next climb. Squeeze every drop of life out of the body you've got, while you've got it. Don't be a spectator, be part of the action. I think he inspired a lot of people that way, made a lot of people want to do more, live more, be more like Layton Kor.

I didn't want to post again but was compelled by Susan's words. For those who wonder who Layton was, Susan's words really capture the Kor of Layton. He is known for his climbs but he was so much more than just the sum of his First Ascents. Thanks Susan.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
ClimbStewart
14ers: 48 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbStewart »

Thanks for all the great comments and remembrances and tributes to Layton, especially the wonderful note by Susan about her experiences with Layton when she visited him with me four years ago. We had a great time visiting that trip with Layton as well as Scott Baxter, an Arizona climbing legend, and Albert Newman. Layton always loved company and, of course, loved talking about climbing.

When I would call Layton these past couple years he would perk up when our conversation turned to climbing. Here are few of his quotes: "Are you out there climbing with Jimmie Dunn at the Garden of the Gods today?" "I'd really like to go back to the Dolomites, Mr. Green. Those are some great climbs there." "You don’t have to go climbing to break your neck." "Karen was driving me around in the desert the other day and I found a couple towers that we need to go climb. You need to come down here."

Layton was always quick with a story, joke, or a pun. On my many trips to Arizona to visit him in these last few years as his health was failing, we always went to his favorite restaurants--Cracker Barrel, IHOP, and Golden Corral where he always feasted on fried chicken and salad. "Lotsa energy in salad," Layton would say. Jeez, I miss him already. Layton was a great climber but he was also a great friend and human being. My deepest condolences to his wife Karen, son Arlan, and the rest of his family.

Here's a photograph I made of Layton and Ed Webster in April 2009 after we made the first ascent of Kor's Kastle west of Kingman AZ, the last first ascent of a desert tower that Layton made. We drank his favorite beer St. Pauli Girl, BBQed chicken legs, listened to early '60s rock'n roll, and talked about climbing...
LaytonKor_KingmanAZ_April2009 (11)_2.jpg
LaytonKor_KingmanAZ_April2009 (11)_2.jpg (140.44 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Johnson wrote:He is known for his climbs but he was so much more than just the sum of his First Ascents.
I enjoyed your comments on the Climbing Magazine Tributes to Layton Kor page also, Johnson. His first ascents are incredibly impressive, though. I noticed that someone has been updating the Wiki page, and there are at least two books in the works about Layton "The Great'n" Kor. If anyone hears of a memorial in Colorado, please let us know! I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would like to pay their respects.
NickCafe
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Layton Kor Dies - Fundraiser

Post by NickCafe »

Layton passed away with significant medical, funeral, and other expenses. Friends of Layton's have set up a website for donations in Layton's memory to help Layton's wife, Karen Kor, with those expenses.

The website address is: http://www.youcaring.com/laytonkor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

All donations go straight to Karen with no intermediaries and no fees. Please give generously and spread the word!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Nice obituary in Alpinist.

And one of my favorite pictures, at the top of the Salathé Wall on El Cap, "the greatest rock climb in the world."
Attachments
Layton Kor - Salathé Wall, El Capitan
Layton Kor - Salathé Wall, El Capitan
tumblr_mgnizzcOUz1qzpvqdo1_1280.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

susanjoypaul wrote: one of my favorite pictures

Riveting.
Climbdent
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Climbdent »

Wow - An awesome climbing career marked by dedication, passion, and courage. Those old pictures with a swami, pitons, and who knows what were on his feet are inspiring and make me tremble in my TC Pro's.

Knowing his climbing legacy began when he had to make a living to feed himself and his family while climbing tirelessly (before the days of endorsements and 60minute interviews), made his accomplishments all the more impressive.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Layton the Great 'un...what an amazing force he was. May his spirit live forever, and may his memory always be a blessing. RIP.
johnner
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnner »

It was honor to meet and climb with Layton.
He will be missed by many.