Mountaineering Accident Stats

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Mountaineering Accident Stats

Post by colokeith »

Kind of a messy site but I found the content interesting. The site contains graphs of statistical analysis of US mountaineering accidents 1951-2006

I found it particularly interesting that accidents are statistically more likely on the assent which is the opposite of what I have heard.

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/projects/accidentstats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Mountaineering Accident Stats

Post by jmanner »

colokeith wrote: ...statistically more likely on the assent which is the opposite of what I have heard.

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/projects/accidentstats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yea, that is really interesting. I had heard the same as you.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Percentage of avvy-related accidents seems somewhat low (3.3%).

Thanks for posting this--very interesting to peruse.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Stephanie has a great website ... been following it for many years. She had her own accident a few years back (on a rather technical endeavor). Tough cookie, that girl ... and quite the photographer (she's been known to do some stellar aerial mountain photos). Thanks for posting. Happy trails! :-D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
TravDoc
14ers: 19  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TravDoc »

Very cool read, thanks for posting!
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

I found it particularly interesting that accidents are statistically more likely on the assent
ANAM data by itself tells you very little about the probability of mountaineering or climbing accidents. For that you'd also need to know (a) numbers of climbers, climbing trips or climber-hours and (b) the probability that a given climbing accident will be reported to ANAM. Also, the term "mountaineering accident" is quite fuzzy. Does it include hiking? Sport climbing? Backcountry skiing? It's not really clear.

I'd guess the main reason why ANAM reports fewer accidents on descent is simply that fewer people are doing technical descents than technical ascents. For many climbs the descent is a easy walk-off down the other side.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I think Colorado stats will look different. In the short time I've been keeping track (since 2010), I think there are significantly more deaths on descent than ascent.

P.S. Steph Abegg is awesome.

Check out her research on mountain vs. peak vs. mount