Young man dies on Longs, another rescued.

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Greenfin
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Young man dies on Longs, another rescued.

Post by Greenfin »

Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Young man dies on Longs, another rescued.

Post by Fisching »

Thank you for posting the article. There is a memorial thread for Mr. Nahon here: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=41193
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

So should this become the "accident information and analysis" thread?
Greenfin
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Greenfin »

Fisching wrote:Thank you for posting the article. There is a memorial thread for Mr. Nahon here: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=41193
I'm quite a newbie around here for not finding that thread.

Last summer I spent a week in Colorado climbing 14ers, and learned of a fatality that week from other climbers. I was in Colorado again last week to climb, but didn't hear of any accidents. I was checking this forum today hoping there weren't any serious accidents last week. I saw nothing here but was disappointed to find the article about Mr. Nahon.

It is sobering that this happened to an athletic young man.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I don't understand. The other thread is from 8/15 and yet this (Estes Park website) says Mr. Nahon fell on 8/18. Is that just an error in the news story?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
JonW
14ers: 14 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonW »

djkest wrote:I don't understand. The other thread is from 8/15 and yet this (Estes Park website) says Mr. Nahon fell on 8/18. Is that just an error in the news story?
Yes, that is a typo. He fell on Thursday, 8/15.