NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Alpine Rescue Team
Trip Reports (0)

NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by Alpine Rescue Team »

We currently have a 37 YOM solo hiker that took a 5 day trip into the South Colony basin to climb some or all of the 14,000ft peaks in that area last Tuesday 9/17/13. His vehicle was located at the lower gate on the south colony road today. It is a 1995 White Suburban. Our missing parties name is "Mark". We have limited information about him except for the following - We believe he is wearing cargo pants, he doesn't wear glasses, no beard, is 6'2" and weighs apx. 220 and may have a rope. We understand he has a tent but do not know the color. We do not know what peaks he was going to climb but understand he has climbed 13 of the 14,000ft peaks this year.

At this time SAR personnel are on the mountain and additional SAR units will be assisting tomorrow. If anyone believes they might of seen this person on one of the peaks or at a campsite in the South Colony or Cottonwood basins, we are asking you to call. Please call:

Paul "Woody" Woodward
State Coordinator - Colorado Search and Rescue Board
303.393-7297
Last edited by Alpine Rescue Team on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need your help - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by thevagabond »

sending positive thoughts.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Need your help - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Woody, good luck and I wish your team a safe search. Hopefully, he's just decided to extend his time near the lakes.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by cbrobin »

Hopefully, he's just decided to extend his time near the lakes.
+1
More Colorado than the Natives.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Praying for a positive resolution to this uncertain situation. Godspeed and safe passage to the SAR teams.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Praying for a positive outcome. God speed, Woody!
Relative to Zero
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Relative to Zero »

Hopefully he just underestimated the time it would take him to get back. I made that mistake once for the traverse between Columbia and Harvard. Lucky I was able to send a text from up high to add time to my SAR clock. I usually dont mention what type/color of shelter I'm taking out in my "if I'm not back by x/x..." packet I leave with family. Ill start including a gear list with the colors of my components now, on top of route printouts and projected start-finish times. Good luck to SAR. You guys are awesome.
ROCK! ROCK! Rock!
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Thank you SAR for continually putting yourselves on the line to help people in trouble. Your professionalism and courage always impresses me, and I can't thank you enough for your work. Praying for a positive end to this situation.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
cindyh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cindyh »

bump
CindyH
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Hoping for a positive outcome on this. Thank you SAR for all your efforts. You guys are amazing!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Thanks Woody. We're all hoping for a positive outcome.
cindyh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cindyh »

bump
CindyH