Rockslide Mt Princeton

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Cheaton6
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by Cheaton6 »

I just heard this on 850 KOA. I hope everyone is ok!

http://www.9news.com/news/article/35766 ... -Princeton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheaton6
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by Cheaton6 »

Authorities have confirmed a rock slide at Agnes Vaille Falls.

The rock slide was reported around 11:15 a.m. Monday. The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office says five to seven people were hiking at the time, and an unknown number of those people suffered serious injuries. There have been reports of fatalities, but those reports have not been confirmed.

Along with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, Chaffee County EMS, Colorado State Patrol, search and rescue workers, and firefighters are on scene. The Sheriff's Office does not have information on where the firefighters are from at this time.

Agnes Vaille Falls is located below Mt. Princeton. There is a popular hiking trail that can take you there; the trailhead is located nine miles away from the intersection of Highway 285 and County Road 162. The closest towns to it are Nathrop and Buena Vista.

We are working to get more information.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

Yikes!
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

This doesn't sound good. Hoping for the best.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

This is a particularly frightening event. No one expects to get in trouble on that short walk. Really hoping this isn't as serious as it sounds.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Buckshot Jake
14ers: 58 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Buckshot Jake »

A very unfortunate accident. I hope for the best!
Buckshot

14er Finisher No. 1,580 ALL TIME
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

My heart goes out to the people involved. We're all hoping for the best.

Could someone familiar with the Agnes Vaille Falls trail tell us a little bit about it?
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

It's a very short hike of about half a mile and maybe 200' of elevation gain that attracts mostly tourists as opposed to more serious climbers.

http://www.coloradoguy.com/waterfall-sa ... ntains.htm

Also, here's a link to Channel 7's site with what appears to be a photo of the slide. (Edit: After looking at it again, it may just be a stock photo of people atop some talus.)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/st ... fee-county

May all the injuries turn out to be minor.

R
Last edited by Rarefied on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

So very sad to hear of this! Prayers to those affected. That is such a neat hike to the falls there and such a popular trail.
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

The picture on Channel 7's site is definitely Agnes Vaille Falls. The "talus" below is the standard area below the falls. The location from where Picture 1 was taken is off route from the falls and highly unlikely for 5+ people to have been. You can barely make out the spray of the falls on the far left edge of the photo. I'm guessing the slide happened closer to the falls and a little bit up from the people pictured. That area is a little more flat, but farther up the water it gets a little steeper (maybe 50 yards).

Picture 3 ... looks frighteningly unfamiliar. I'm fearful that really might be an image of the slide since I don't see the normal water flow through there. Though it seems a little odd there wouldn't be any rescuers in the photo.
Last edited by Derby Ale on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountaintan
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountaintan »

I agree, that looks like a stock photo of how the falls usually look. Positive thoughts and prayers for all those involved. It's been a hard couple of weeks here in Buena Vista...hoping for the best!