Rockslide Mt Princeton

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by thevagabond »

Condolences to the families effected, Especially to the little girl.
BrianWright
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrianWright »

Very sad to hear about this. My thoughts are with everyone involved!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Lemmiwinks wrote:This one is very difficult to hear about. For those of us who spend many hours in the backcountry on difficult/technical peaks, we knowingly accept the risks that are associated with these trips. Agnes Vaille Falls is not one of those trips, and I imagine these victims never even considered such an accident was possible on a short, casual, hike like this (I know I wouldn't). A sad reminder that "geologic time is now."

My sincerest condolences to the families of the victims and a speedy recovery to the survivors.
Exactly my thoughts. Terrible. :(
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Deepest sympathy and prayers for comfort and strength for the families and friends of all five victims. May the 13-year-old victim make a full recovery.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

My heart is hurting to have heard this outcome after hoping all day for spared lives in this. Many thoughts and prayers for those friends and family who are dealing with the losses.
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
mbird
14ers: 25  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbird »

I report for the paper in BV, and the scene at the local high school was very somber this evening. One 13-year-old survivor, five unidentified fatalities, an entire community shaken by the news. The sense of safety on the Agnes Vaille Falls trail is only adding to the tragedy of the event. http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/free_ ... 0f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fevercity
14ers: 4 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fevercity »

mbird wrote:I report for the paper in BV, and the scene at the local high school was very somber this evening. One 13-year-old survivor, five unidentified fatalities, an entire community shaken by the news. The sense of safety on the Agnes Vaille Falls trail is only adding to the tragedy of the event. http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/free_ ... 0f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey mbird.... Welcome to 14ers.
Sad news indeed and definitely not the type of story one wants to cover. Especially at a high school in BV.
Here's to all affected by this tragic event.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Just terrible.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Thinking of all of our friends in BV. So sad. Prayers to all who are affected
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

This is terrible, heart-wrenching news. My condolences to the families of the victims.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

How awful, both for the deceased and the surviving girl...a sad reminder of how fragile life can be.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
heathahhhh
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by heathahhhh »

Heavy heart today hearing about this. I've had many friends on trail crews work on that trail, building steps to help make the hike easier for the tourists that come to see the Falls. Never would I have guessed that a rock slide of this magnitude would occur there.
D:
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"