6 Avalanche fatalities in US in 4 days

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

6 Avalanche fatalities in US in 4 days

Post by Nelson »

2 in Colorado, 2 in Utah and two in Oregon.

Be safe.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: 6 Avalanche fatalities in US in 4 days

Post by Scott P »

Here's where one in Utah occurred (sorry photos won't link, you'll have to click):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8161_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was next to the road and at only 6400 feet elevation.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8161_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another shot:

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/sites/de ... G_4564.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even terrain far below timberline that looks benign can dangerous.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

this is a necessary but horrible aspect of this forum. It really tears me up to read about people losing their lives in the mountains. I had some aspirations for really getting some peaks this winter but these conditions are way beyond my skill set. Hopefully, March settles down

I'll second the phrase: be safe everyone!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

CAIC giving several in-depth lectures on avalanche science this winter at REI, incluing tonight 2/13.
REI has both "basic" avalanche lectures and field sessions, and in-depth ones from CAIC on selected topics.
I try to hear one every season and learn new things.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I had some aspirations for really getting some peaks this winter but these conditions are way beyond my skill set.
Actually there are plenty of peaks (and even some 14ers) that have routes that have zero or close to zero avalanche danger. You just have to choose an appropriate route.

I assume since you posted in the thread, you'd be interested in joining us for the East Ridge of Elbert? There is almost always zero avalanche danger as long as you stay on route. It would be great to have you along.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Scott P wrote:
I had some aspirations for really getting some peaks this winter but these conditions are way beyond my skill set.
Actually there are plenty of peaks (and even some 14ers) that have routes that have zero or close to zero avalanche danger. You just have to choose an appropriate route.
This is a good point. The *most* important facet of winter mountain travel is safe route selection. And I think it is often overlooked in avy discussions.

Almost every mountain has safe routes. Some will be a lot longer than the shorter, more dangerous routes, but they are often there.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Scott P wrote:

I assume since you posted in the thread, you'd be interested in joining us for the East Ridge of Elbert? There is almost always zero avalanche danger as long as you stay on route. It would be great to have you along.
I'm assuming Bierstadt is one of these as well, at least the standard route?
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

nsaladin wrote:
Correct, so long as you stay on the standard summer route. There is some danger of slides on the road as you are walking up from the Guanella Campground, in fact there are signs reminding you not to stop...

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

ACERyGuy007 wrote:
nsaladin wrote:
Correct, so long as you stay on the standard summer route. There is some danger of slides on the road as you are walking up from the Guanella Campground, in fact there are signs reminding you not to stop...

-Ryan
Yeah I attempted bierstadt in late december, and started in the dark. On the way back I was noticing the very steep grades surrounding the road. Hope to get up to bierstadt soon and try again. Kind of scary to see what you walked through in pitch black in the middle of a snowstorm.