Mount Huron Ski Accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Mount Huron Ski Accident

Post by MountainHiker »

Minnesota man in critical condition after skiing off cliff in Mount Huron area

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... huron-area
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
--bb--
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42 9 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mount Huron Ski Accident

Post by --bb-- »

Certainly glad there was a window for the rescue operation. Sounds like a nasty fall. Hope he's doing better and will heal quickly!
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

MountainHiker wrote:Minnesota man in critical condition after skiing off cliff in Mount Huron area

I hope and pray Mr. Burns will make a complete recovery.

Wow…unconscious but breathing. Sounds like if he recovers, it will be because one, Robert was with a partner, and two, that partner was prepared with a SPOT.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

globreal wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:Minnesota man in critical condition after skiing off cliff in Mount Huron area

I hope and pray Mr. Burns will make a complete recovery.

Wow…unconscious but breathing. Sounds like if he recovers, it will be because one, Robert was with a partner, and two, that partner was prepared with a SPOT.
I hope he makes a speedy recovery, but makes me feel good about my choice to always hike with partners and with my SPOT.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Praying for a quick recovery!

Ryan, don't go changing your forum name on me!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

I was confused by the first name, but this is actually a member of our forum. He is a good man, and I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

Unfortunately, he is still in a coma as a result of the accident. Please keep praying for him!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
IronSkiMountaineer
14ers: 21  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by IronSkiMountaineer »

Thanks for a the support, guys! I'm currently at Craig Hospital and recovering very well. Thank God I was skiing with Kyle that day because his actions saved my life and I had the SPOT device.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

IronSkiMountaineer wrote:Thanks for a the support, guys! I'm currently at Craig Hospital and recovering very well. Thank God I was skiing with Kyle that day because his actions saved my life and I had the SPOT device.
I remember hiking out from Snowmass last year while you were hiking up with your skis and setting a blazing pace. You took some amazing photos on that trip. Best wishes for a complete recovery.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Ironski

We joined Up for the descent down challenger last year. I remember you took some great photos and set an absolutely brutal pace. Sorry to hear about your accident and my best wishes for a full recovery. Hope to see you in the mountains again and posting some of those trip reports.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

IronSkiMountaineer wrote:Thanks for a the support, guys! I'm currently at Craig Hospital and recovering very well. Thank God I was skiing with Kyle that day because his actions saved my life and I had the SPOT device.
Have you been in the hospital since the accident back in May?
please rotate your device
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

hey man best wishes for a speedy recovery. Glad you made it out alive!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
IronSkiMountaineer
14ers: 21  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by IronSkiMountaineer »

Hungry Jack wrote:
Have you been in the hospital since the accident back in May?

Yeah been hospitalized since May