Two climbers not returned from Ellingwood Ridge attempt

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Two climbers not returned from Ellingwood Ridge attempt

Post by akoller »

Hi Everyone,

Two 14ers.com members Sara and Rob (scramble and robco) went for Ellingwood Ridge this weekend and instructed their housemates to call SAR if they hadn't made contact by noon Monday. SAR has been called, but I wanted to see if anyone might have seen them over the weekend or has any other useful information. If there is any important information I can gather here, I will forward it to SAR.

Their itinerary was: Saturday, gain the ridge and bivy. Sunday, finish the ridge, descend the standard route. I don't know if they left Friday night or early Saturday morning. I also don't know if they planned on doing the Class-3 version of the ridge or the full ridge crest. I also don't know if either of them has a SPOT, but Sara's housemate does not think she has one.

Sara and Rob, if you guys end up reading this sorry for the embarrassment but I figured it was better to try to get any information sooner rather than later.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Two climbers not returned from Ellingwood Ridge attempt

Post by SnowAlien »

I drove by La Plata's TH early on Sunday morning and I "thought" I saw Rob's blue subaru parked at the TH (there were only 2 cars there). They are probably ok, just overdue, it's such a long ridge!
akoller
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

nkan02, I agree that they are probably fine. They are very experienced, and were prepared for an overnight stay. Hopefully they just bivied twice instead of once.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

akoller wrote:Sara and Rob, if you guys end up reading this sorry for the embarrassment but I figured it was better to try to get any information sooner rather than later.
You did the right thing posting, any additional information can benefit a rescue situation. We're all hoping for the best.
akoller
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

Just got word that they are fine. \:D/
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

akoller wrote:Just got word that they are fine. \:D/
Praise God!
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Huzzah! Very glad to hear!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Just got a text too. Heart can stop racing now.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

It feels like it's been a while since we've gotten good news in these situations. What a blessing!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

So sorry to worry everyone! It just took us way longer than we expected. :oops:
Thanks for looking out for us.