Longs Peak rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak rescue

Post by Mark A Steiner »

According to KOA Radio 850, Denver, a rescue operation, apparently involving technical climbing, is in progress on Longs Peak. Specifics about where on the mountain are lacking as this is posted.

According to the news report, two in a party became separated. One is apparently stranded and unable to go up or down. Hope this ends well.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak rescue

Post by jrs1965 »

Last edited by jrs1965 on Wed May 28, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

As usual the report makes no sense. I very much doubt an inexperienced person would make it down Kieners from the summit to Broadway with no gear & w/o very good knowledge of the route. Especially under current conditions. Maybe got stuck there on the way up.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25850 ... calls-help" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

pbakwin wrote:As usual the report makes no sense. I very much doubt an inexperienced person would make it down Kieners from the summit to Broadway with no gear & w/o very good knowledge of the route. Especially under current conditions. Maybe got stuck there on the way up.

Inexperience can get you into a situation that an experienced person would never get into. Like down climbing a route you don't know anything about, assuming that it was either a.) what you climbed up, or b.) a "better way". This wouldn't be the first, second, or 100th time a scenario like this has occurred.

I hope he gets down safely though. I wouldn't want to be anywhere on that face in the afternoons right now. :shock:
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

A pic of stranded hiker.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mo ... longs-peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks snowy. At least he won't go thirsty.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Hope this guy gets rescued soon. That is not looking to be a fun place to be stuck.

AND I hope all the rescuers are able to be safe attempting to save this guy. Sounds like all the facts are not out yet regarding this situation.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

metalmountain wrote: Inexperience can get you into a situation that an experienced person would never get into. Like down climbing a route you don't know anything about, assuming that it was either a.) what you climbed up, or b.) a "better way". This wouldn't be the first, second, or 100th time a scenario like this has occurred.
Yes.

Given the number of people who can't even spell the name of the mountain they're climbing or have just climbed, I have little doubt that trip planning and forethought are often secondary or tertiary in priority to getting a good selfie.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to spend an unplanned night on Broadway. Hope SAR gets up and down OK and brings the tourist back down with them safe and sound.
Make wilderness less accessible.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Dave B wrote:Given the number of people who can't even spell the name of the mountain they're climbing or have just climbed, I have little doubt that trip planning and forethought are often secondary or tertiary in priority to getting a good selfie.
Great oldman grip. :lol: Having never climbed Kieners but Kien to.(yuck yuck yuck) I have looked at countless TR on the Broadway and that spot he's stuck would certainly put you in a position of no way up no way down. The little hump and jog around would be terrifying with snow on it without crampons and axe and returning up the couloir would be a terrifying proposition.

I hope everyone makes it out of this ok!
Last edited by jmanner on Wed May 28, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Given the number of people who can't even spell the name of the mountain they're climbing or have just climbed
Dang. I'll have to remember that when I climb this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/hvannadalshnukur/152942" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Wow, that looks terrifying
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Oh my god that's Ballsy to make it to that point! Without climbing experience! I hope he comes out OK and I hope inexperience does not mean that he was unprepared with extra clothing and emergency shelter/poncho/reflective blanket..... Something. This guy has a future as a mountaineer if he chooses the learn to do it properly.