Longs Peak rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak rescue

Post by TallGrass »

speth wrote:Can someone send me the address to AAC? I need to send in a request that they burn every copy of ANAM printed.
There's a military saying that the regulations book is written in red ink, because so many were added subsequent to a fatality. Pretty sure the agree with the adage "learn from the mistakes of others, as you won't be able to make them all yourself." Likewise sure the 10 Essentials list formed with similar input, and no one would redact that. For some, advice is not enough, they need a narrative to explain the "why" for them.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

but who is going to cough-up the $41K ?

Colorado taxpayers?
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

mountaingoat-G wrote:but who is going to cough-up the $41K ?

Colorado taxpayers?
US taxpayers; park service is federal.

That's right, his rescue cost every US citizen one hundredths of a cent.

I think we should all be outraged. I mean, think of it - for every 500 lives they try to save, they're costing us a cheap and exceptionally tiny cup of coffee. Unacceptable! </MERICA>
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Money just isn't worth what it once was (won't start an argument on this point). One wag commented elsewhere it now costs Uncle Scam 4-5 cents to make one penny.

Human life has great value no matter whose it is. As free moral agents we have the freedom to make good or bad choices every day - for now.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Seems like nearly every time I do Longs (lots!) I see people doing things that are hard to understand. Today there was a group crossing the Ledges with full technical rock climbing gear (ropes, harnesses, cams), but no equipment for snow, despite the fact that the route is basically all snow, and is in fact quite easy with basic snow gear (ax & crampons). These guys were moving incredibly slow since they had to stick to rock, which isn't that easy back there. Very odd.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Money just isn't worth what it once was (won't start an argument on this point). One wag commented elsewhere it now costs Uncle Scam 4-5 cents to make one penny.

I bet that's not far off.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

mtree wrote:Another recent tragedy on Longs only amplifies Frappier's UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY outcome. But it does not glorify it. Hope we can all gain some perspective from this sobering news.
I always like the 1st party recaps of a nonfatal mishap, like Frappier did here. It’s like flying - some new guys just have the right instincts, physical skill and spatial awareness to survive bad headwork while others with lots of hours and varied experience never “fly a nice airplane.” Frappier, with zero alpine and probably minimal backcountry experience navigated pretty well on a non-standard route and basically beat huge odds. I learned from a 19-year old and those that reconstructed his route (particularly Brian C) 8) that I may try a route via the Camel next time. Most of my handful of Long’s ascents have been the usual standard route.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

dave_navy_VA wrote:
mtree wrote:Another recent tragedy on Longs only amplifies Frappier's UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY outcome. But it does not glorify it. Hope we can all gain some perspective from this sobering news.
I always like the 1st party recaps of a nonfatal mishap, like Frappier did here. It’s like flying - some new guys just have the right instincts, physical skill and spatial awareness to survive bad headwork while others with lots of hours and varied experience never “fly a nice airplane.” Frappier, with zero alpine and probably minimal backcountry experience navigated pretty well on a non-standard route and basically beat huge odds. I learned from a 19-year old and those that reconstructed his route (particularly Brian C) 8) that I may try a route via the Camel next time. Most of my handful of Long’s ascents have been the usual standard route.
And this is the potentially worrisome outcome of Frappier's trek. Others will feel emboldened to attempt a climb they might otherwise not. (Dave_navy, I have no idea of your hiking/climbing skill or experience so this is not directed at you per se. Good luck and safe climbing!)
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

And this is the potentially worrisome outcome of Frappier's trek. Others will feel emboldened to attempt a climb they might otherwise not. (Dave_navy, I have no idea of your hiking/climbing skill or experience so this is not directed at you per se. Good luck and safe climbing!)[/quote]

Agreed, I think one of the biggest reasons for accidents on mountains is lack of respect for them and an ever increasing confidence that there are "Easy" mountains to climb. I have a co worker who said as his first 14er he wants to do The Bells. This is the kind of behavior that people observe and say, "What the hell it can't be that bad!".
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
iholdthepain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by iholdthepain »

If I decided to attempt the Camel route or the Bells, the last thing I would want is your concern. There are incalculable risks and unknowns for anyone who goes into the wilderness, whether they respect the mountains or not. I accept those risks when I go out. Being prepared, educated, and willing to turn back are all that can be asked of anyone, and that only goes so far.
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Again there is a difference between someone who has the knowledge and experience to tackle more difficult climbs. Going into a climb you're not prepared for equipment wise or experience wise is what I'm talking about. There will always be risks and things will happen we cannot avoid, but that doesn't mean we can put ourselves in situations that we shouldn't be in to begin with. Not saying anyone in particular just a general observation.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

DoctorBreaks wrote: Agreed, I think one of the biggest reasons for accidents on mountains is lack of respect for them and an ever increasing confidence that there are "Easy" mountains to climb.
BS! Most of the fatalities occur to experienced climbers, and the ones I have known have had a very deep respect for them.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"