Longs Peak rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak rescue

Post by mtree »

Another recent tragedy on Longs only amplifies Frappier's UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY outcome. But it does not glorify it. Hope we can all gain some perspective from this sobering news.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

$41k for his "rescue" (even it was just prodding in the form of miscommunication).

But what is the value if his well-publicized situation prevents others from making the same mistake, possibly fatally, and also reduces some of the SAR missions they do NOT have to go out on. Yeah, impossible to calculate perhaps, but worth mulling. I posit that SAR sees some value there, but won't place a number on it.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
hskrhiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hskrhiker »

TallGrass wrote:$41k for his "rescue" (even it was just prodding in the form of miscommunication).

But what is the value if his well-publicized situation prevents others from making the same mistake, possibly fatally, and also reduces some of the SAR missions they do NOT have to go out on. Yeah, impossible to calculate perhaps, but worth mulling. I posit that SAR sees some value there, but won't place a number on it.
What is the value if his well publicized situation and seemingly hero status encourages others to do things that they shouldn't be doing simply because he got very, very lucky?
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Do us all a favor Bill and erase this entire discussion so some fool doesn't go out and try to do this! This joker was obviously lucky and we don't need a repeat with much more dire consequences!
Ragin Cajun
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

tlongpine wrote:
When this thread began I though too many posters were quick to offer snap judgement. Now, with the facts out, and having heard firsthand from Mr. Frappier, I think too many offer praise for his antics. Neither represents a community well.
Praise for his abilities, condemnation for is lack of skill. Not an either/or proposition. If you want community, buy a house in one of those yuppie communes like Stapleton and join the HOA board, this is just the interweb where any random person can get an account and post away. Sorry for keeping this thread alive........ I just couldn't help myself.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

boudreaux wrote:Do us all a favor Bill and erase this entire discussion so some fool doesn't go out and try to do this! This joker was obviously lucky and we don't need a repeat with much more dire consequences!
Can someone send me the address to AAC? I need to send in a request that they burn every copy of ANAM printed.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

speth wrote:
boudreaux wrote:Can someone send me the address to AAC? I need to send in a request that they burn every copy of ANAM printed.
Haha.
BURN.jpg
BURN.jpg (326.7 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I think Tlongpine did accurately summarize what we know at this point.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

mtree wrote:Another recent tragedy on Longs only amplifies Frappier's UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY outcome. But it does not glorify it. Hope we can all gain some perspective from this sobering news.
Does anybody know anything more about this??

Sounds like he slid all the way down the Trough?

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... /10338271/

This is sad.....they hadn't been able to get to him until today's attempt......and it rained most of last evening and this morning here in Fort Collins.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

Discussion is here: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p529046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

Thanks!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Hungry Jack wrote:As an amateur student of cognitive science (I am sure you are all happy for me), I understand the human need to attribute life's successes and failures to discrete and deliberate actions taken by individuals. It's ingrained in our species, and frankly a big part of our evolutionary success. We have an innate need to feel in control of our fate.
But I think the truth is that the very fine line between success and failure, and living and dying, is often delineated by simple twists of fate.
rickinco123 wrote: Praise for his abilities, condemnation for is lack of skill. Not an either/or proposition.
hskrhiker wrote: What is the value if his well publicized situation and seemingly hero status encourages others to do things that they shouldn't be doing simply because he got very, very lucky?
=D>
Sam as I feel. Doesn't have to be so polarized. I'm happy with Sam's response, he came in and "beat himself up" over acknowledged mistakes. He'll learn and be able to enjoy the mountains with more experience and caution. And he did exhibit some remarkable, uncommon skill. I really appreciate him sharing his post-traumatic thinking process with everyone as well.

Glad he called SAR and it all turned out OK; no matter how the end was reached, that was everyone's goal. I'm always frustrated with the common calls for reparation, or staying at home on the couch (more common on newspaper forums than this board).
But on the flipside, also disappointed with the unquestioning fanboys, salivating at a book/written story, making Honnold comparisons, wanting to meet/climb with him next time (despite an obvious demonstration of a preference to, well, climb alone) <i>because</i> of the situation and celebrity. I'm not sure they've learned the same lessons he has. If 10 people have their backs against the wall and have to attempt a life-risking situation with a 50% fatality rate, 5 of them will still make it. There will always be incredible stories of luck, as well as incredibly skilled/talented people caught in an accident. Life is incredibly nuanced and complicated. None of us are any less -- or more -- special in that overall regard.