maroon bells rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: maroon bells rescue

Post by bergsteigen »

djkest wrote:You mentioned you will never post the GoPro video and I respect that- can I ask why? I'm guessing it's either scary or embarassing or something. Plus who wants to hear someone screaming in pain?
The simple answer is this. It doesn't show much. It went too fast. The GoPro was in the snow for the reduction (180 ski spin). It's the screaming... to me, it brings back the dark place. I can watch the video with the sound muted. Listening to it, and it's almost vomit inducing in it's horrifying sound. I would rather keep things as positive as possible, and not end the TR with those sounds.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury, but you & Nate (& SAR, as always) did a great job dealing with it. If attitude has anything to do with recovery (and I know it does), it sounds like you'll be back out there before you can even catch up on your other pursuits. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Your trip report was pretty crazy to read mainly because I had some idea of how it would end since it was linked from the forum post about the accident. I'm glad to hear you are doing okay now and that it looks like you will make a full recovery. I think I will also be signing up for those WFA type classes in the future. There is a book out by the mountaineers press "Climbing Self Rescue: Improvising Solutions For Serious Situations" that I have been thinking of reading, and this might give me all the more reason to do so. I'm not sure what I would do, being more or less stuck on a slope that could slide like you were. I think descending that as much as you did after the injury was as much an accomplishment as any technical ascent of a peak. Good luck on your recovery.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Otina,

That was one intense trip report! I am amazed by your positive attitude and glad that you are recovering well. I hope that you enjoy your relaxing Summer and are able to get back to the mountains soon!

-Andrew
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

[quote="Tornadoman"]Otina,

That was one intense trip report! I am amazed by your positive attitude

+1 on that! Otina, heal well; don't know if we can go long without your great trip reports and pics. :lol: So glad you are safe.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

bergsteigen wrote:
djkest wrote:You mentioned you will never post the GoPro video and I respect that- can I ask why? I'm guessing it's either scary or embarassing or something. Plus who wants to hear someone screaming in pain?
The simple answer is this. It doesn't show much. It went too fast. The GoPro was in the snow for the reduction (180 ski spin). It's the screaming... to me, it brings back the dark place. I can watch the video with the sound muted. Listening to it, and it's almost vomit inducing in it's horrifying sound. I would rather keep things as positive as possible, and not end the TR with those sounds.
Thanks for answering, that makes a lot of sense. It wouldn't add anything positive only negative.

Also from your X-rays (which are cool to see, by the way), it looks like you may have a small lump or "bulge" on that shin for the foreseeable future. All that extra titanium hardware. And I agree, Adamantium would be a cool upgrade. Maybe like Wolverine you could have retractable crampons. :lol:

Oh and +1 on maintaining a positive attitude. I don't think I would handle such and event with the happiness that you did- pretty amazing.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
thePhoenix
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 41 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thePhoenix »

djkest wrote:And I agree, Adamantium would be a cool upgrade. Maybe like Wolverine you could have retractable crampons.
+1

It's good to see you were and are in good spirits about everything. Good luck with the recovery. You're a very strong, and determined individual. I have no doubt you'll be back up in the mountains as soon you can.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

JoeyJ wrote:Wow- just now seeing this today... Ugggh.

So glad you're OK and it wasn't any worse Otina. Just glanced at your report and will read the whole thing next... I too have enjoyed your TRs with all the fine outdoor photos. Plus you're always very helpful to all the other folks herer on this site. Get well soon and keep looking at the bright side!

PS- you have the best set of skis I've ever seen!
Love leopards- perfect motivation to keep those ski tips together :)

Was fortunate enough to see one in the wild once... Hope your sleek snow leopard is back out prowling the high slopes soon!
Makalali Leopard.jpg
That is one awesome photo! The big cats have always fascinated me, and why I wanted to become a veterinarian as a kid - until I realized I was allergic. Seeing the big cats in the wild would be a major bucket list item for me. Hopefully one day!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Thanks for sharing your story.

If you spend enough time in the mountains, eventually it will catch up with you.

That being said, it sounds as if you and your partner were well-prepared for it and were capable of making the right decision. I wish more people could share that story.

Here's to a speedy recovery!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Prayers and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery, bergsteigen.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
ETA
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ETA »

Hoping you recover fully and quickly, your story of the accident is a humbling read. Take care and best of luck getting back on your feet.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Yeah, Otina didn't get enough attention as it is, now she has to pull some shenanigans.
Ok, my dear, get better soon because I am looking forward to skiing Quandary with you!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!