maroon bells rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: maroon bells rescue

Post by Air Squared »

Sounds like your climbing partner is an absolute rockstar....

Thanks for sharing your story.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

Get well soon !!

edit: while reading the "bad part" of your TR I could feel myself flinching... yikes.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

Glad to hear there was a (relatively) happy ending.

One thing that I do wonder about from your TR is whether or not you think a more standard binding would have released? Just thinking about how your leg must have twisted, I'm inclined to think not.

The other take away for me, is how important it was to have a PLB in this situation. It would have been a significantly more dangerous situation without a PLB.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Air Squared wrote:Sounds like your climbing partner is an absolute rockstar....
Yes, in all aspects! Though it did take a lot of ice cream bribes to get photos to update the TR :P

pseudoghost wrote:One thing that I do wonder about from your TR is whether or not you think a more standard binding would have released? Just thinking about how your leg must have twisted, I'm inclined to think not.
It's tough for me to say. I've been skiing 34 years on a wide variety of equipment, so I've had my fair share of spectacular falls and crashes. If I don't lock the binding during touring, it would release - frequently. But I don't think dynafits are designed to release with toe twist. I do think my alpine skis would have released.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

bergsteigen wrote: It's tough for me to say. I've been skiing 34 years on a wide variety of equipment, so I've had my fair share of spectacular falls and crashes. If I don't lock the binding during touring, it would release - frequently. But I don't think dynafits are designed to release with toe twist. I do think my alpine skis would have released.
I've heard a ton of stories and personally know that dynafits do not always release depending on the fall/twist/movement, which I believe also contributed to my wife blowing her ACL as well on dynafits.

Glad you got out safely, and hope you have a speedy recovery.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

I would say one of the worst falls you can have is a slow fall on snow that holds on to your ski. A lot of bindings will not release in that situation. I have seen a couple of falls just like Otina's with the exact same fracture. They were with standard alpine bindings.

I love dynafits but I recognize that they are not high performance bindings. The advantage is weight.