Another Fatal Longs Tragedy

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Another Fatal Longs Tragedy

Post by Scotzman »

My prayers and condolences to the fallen's family and friends, may you find a sliver of peace and comfort.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
ccolgan32
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ccolgan32 »

RIP
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Very sad. My heart goes out to all his loved ones.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Depressing. Praying for his family - let's hope this is the first and last this summer.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
jpenny
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 38 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jpenny »

Terribly sad. I saw a solo climber's headlamp going around Lady Washington on the Keyhole route on Monday morning and I flashed mine at him as if to say hey. I went up Dreamweaver and descended the Keyhole but never ran into him. It doesn't feel really good knowing that he was there right before me. Unfortunately there was no sign that someone might have fallen down the Trough or the Ledges as I descended them. I sure wish I would have known. My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to his family.
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

Does anybody know anything more about this??

Sounds like he slid all the way down the Trough?

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... /10338271/

This is sad.....they hadn't been able to get to him until today's attempt......and it rained most of last evening and this morning here in Fort Collins.
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

jpenny wrote: Unfortunately there was no sign that someone might have fallen down the Trough or the Ledges as I descended them. I sure wish I would have known. My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to his family.
What were conditions like on your descent?
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

The Trough is actually pretty close to 2000' feet. It starts at around 11800' where this is a small cliff band and I think the chockstone is at ~13840' or so.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Mike Shepherd wrote:
jpenny wrote: Unfortunately there was no sign that someone might have fallen down the Trough or the Ledges as I descended them. I sure wish I would have known. My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to his family.
What were conditions like on your descent?
Great video and description of the route, posted last year around this same time. According to Allan Arnette there is even more snow this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V05lBjxC4c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

They got him....

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25951 ... longs-peak

RIP little buddy

Details still appear to be scarce....
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

A volunteer ranger at the Longs RS told me today that the person had gear - ax & crampons. If that's true then this accident is especially puzzling.

Conditions are almost all snow from the Keyhole to the summit.
kumo1341
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 34 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kumo1341 »

Very sad news.. Condolence to the family and friends. Please be safe out there.