El Diente rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: El Diente rescue

Post by LadyClimber »

edhaman wrote:To comments and a question:

Now my question: Do SAR teams only receive CORSAR funds for a rescue of someone who has a card, or can they draw on the funds for ANY rescue (or for their general operating costs)?
I'm not the most knowledgeable person regarding the financial aspects of our SAR team, but from when it's been discussed at meetings I gather that the funds from CORSAR are distributed to the teams throughout the state more or less equally and based on need for training and equipment. Things we get reimbursed for specifically for a mission would mainly be gas and damaged gear. The team would get reimbursed regardless if the person had a COSAR card or not.

If someone knows better please correct me.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Funds raised the the CORSAR card and Search and Rescue fees on licenses are distributed to units around the state on a three tiered system.

Tier 1 is expenses incurred directly as a result of a rescue of someone who has a current CORSAR card or license.
Tier 2 is any expenses incurred in a rescue mission of someone without a card or license, generally only for large missions that are costly and a financial strain on that county.
Tier 3 are grants given to the Search and Rescue teams. Any remaining funds are distributed this way helping units purchase necessary equipment and training they would otherwise be unable to afford.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

I would concur….PLEASE purchase a CORSAR card. I got one for each member of my family and they don't even climb but could come in handy on a camping trip or something equivalent. I consider purchasing their cards my donation to Search & Rescue organizations.

From the CORSAR site which is here:http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DO ... 1592090523
Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Purchase a Card
The CORSAR cards are available for $3 for one year and $12 for five years, and can be purchased at over 300 retailers in the state. You may also purchase cards online. Please visit one of these links:

For the cost of the card, you have helped ensure that trained and well equipped search and rescue teams will respond should you become lost or in need of rescue. Furthermore, volunteers will not have to incur undue expense due to your emergency.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

edhaman wrote:Now my question: Do SAR teams only receive CORSAR funds for a rescue of someone who has a card, or can they draw on the funds for ANY rescue (or for their general operating costs)?
Following up to Josh's post - SAR teams can submit to be reimbursed for any incident or mission, but incidents involving cardholders or licensees (tier 1) are prioritized over incidents involving non-cardholders (tier 2).

So - to be strictly accurate, the subject having a CORSAR card may make no difference at all in the ability of a SAR team to be reimbursed for the costs associated with an incident. All a CORSAR card really is is an official way to financially contribute to and support SAR activities in the state of Colorado. As mentioned previously, it's not insurance, and to be frank it's also not a guarantee that you won't get charged or fined.

It's really not a whole lot different from if you donated money directly - but the availability and disbursement of the funds is a bit different; these funds are available to any SAR incident in the state versus if you donated to a specific team only that team would see the benefit from it.

I don't say this to dissuade anybody from getting one, just being factual. If you like the fact that someone may come to haul your injured or lost self out of the middle of nowhere and not charge you for it - get one. It's cheap ($3/year - it costs far more than that to go see a 2-hour movie) and it's good karma.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

When I was involved in a rescue on Castle last year, even though the rescuee didn't hold a CORSAR card, the fact that I had one allowed them to be reimbursed at a higher level than if no one present had one, so GET A CORSAR CARD! :-)
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

marcstrawser wrote:I would rather by a CORSAR card per month than pay $10 to park at the trailhead for the Bells/Pyramid. It certainly goes to a much better cause and is used more appropriately, out of necessity.
If you want to make extra donations to the fund you can "buy" as many cards as you want online - however much $$ you want to donate. https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

Better yet please donate all you can to: Chaffee County Search and Rescue South or North
http://www.chaffecountysarsouth.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We search and rescue on 15 of the 14ers on the divide from La Plata to Shavano!

Almost ALL of our money for trucks, atvs, trailers, motorcycles and all the gear you could ever think of comes from fund raising and donations. We need 10's of thousands of dollars each year to operate. We are all volunteers doing SAR. We will come to your aid no matter what.
Thank you .
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

SkaredShtles wrote:If you want to make extra donations to the fund you can "buy" as many cards as you want online
Uh, no, unless you want to fund the vendor (e.g. REI) as well.

"Each one year CORSAR card provides $2.00 contributes for the fund (with the extra $1.00 retained by the vendor to cover their costs),
and each five year card provides $9.00 to the fund (with the extra $3.00 retained by the vendor."

http://www.huts.org/In_The_Field/corsar_info.html
http://www.coloradosarboard.org/csrb-do ... tSheet.pdf
Vendor List: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/vendors.jsf

So if you wanted to donate directly, donate directly. Of course, a some vendors like "ALAMOSA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE ... ALPINE RESCUE TEAM ... ASPEN RANGER STATION" might also be a part of SAR missions, but most on this list seem to be for-profit commercial businesses.

Disclaimer: As of last summer, I'm a 5-year card holder via the Lake City tourist office (Chamber of Commerce?). Had I realized vendors take a cut then, I would have gone a block further to the Hinsdale County Sheriff's Office.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

TallGrass wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:If you want to make extra donations to the fund you can "buy" as many cards as you want online
Uh, no, unless you want to fund the vendor (e.g. REI) as well.

"Each one year CORSAR card provides $2.00 contributes for the fund (with the extra $1.00 retained by the vendor to cover their costs),
and each five year card provides $9.00 to the fund (with the extra $3.00 retained by the vendor."

http://www.huts.org/In_The_Field/corsar_info.html
http://www.coloradosarboard.org/csrb-do ... tSheet.pdf
Vendor List: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/vendors.jsf

So if you wanted to donate directly, donate directly. Of course, a some vendors like "ALAMOSA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE ... ALPINE RESCUE TEAM ... ASPEN RANGER STATION" might also be a part of SAR missions, but most on this list seem to be for-profit commercial businesses.

Disclaimer: As of last summer, I'm a 5-year card holder via the Lake City tourist office (Chamber of Commerce?). Had I realized vendors take a cut then, I would have gone a block further to the Hinsdale County Sheriff's Office.
I'm not sure - but I think ordering through the link provided avoids any "vendor"? I knew that retail outlets got a little something for spreading the word/selling the cards so figured for the full amount to go to SAR buying directly from the state portal would be the way to go...

I could be wrong about this.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The CORSAR program only returns about 80% of collected funds (after the vendor fee) to the local organizations, so direct donation is definitely more efficient (and tax deductible). Here are some links to organizations if you want to donate directly.
http://www.coloradosarboard.org/CSRBMembers.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://coloradosarboard.org/COSARTeams.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

I wonder if a copy of a direct donation within the calendar year would count as a corsar card?

would potentially raise more money by being able to donate higher and skip the vendor cut, and allow them to skip on a second credit card processing fee.

either way 5 year cards for all in the family and my fishing/hunting liscense has it too

do the cards have to be present or can they research that you have one?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

Since this thread has turned in to a debate/lecture about having a CORSAR/COSAR card let me be one of the only ones to say, I am happy this guy is alive. 1,500-1,700 feet is a long way to fall.
through being cool