Aspen Mountain Rescue on N Maroon

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Aspen Mountain Rescue on N Maroon

Post by nsaladin »

Theodore wrote:
nsaladin wrote: Yes it is.
I picture it like this: SAR members have these pagers like in the 1990 Film "Navy Seals" featuring Charlie Sheen. They get a page and they all hop in a truck and head to the heli-pad.... High hopes lol.
Fixed that for you. :-D

Oops got my Navy movies and lead roles mixed up.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

nsaladin wrote:I picture it like this: SAR members have these pagers like in the 1990 Film "Navy Seals" featuring Tom Cruise. They get a page and they all hop in a truck and head to the heli-pad.... High hopes lol.
Volunteer SAR in Colorado: pagers - yes. Everybody heads for the helo - no. Everybody heads for a staging point, then if there is a helo a select set of people may get to ride it. There are exceptions, but you're not generally going to see volunteer SAR folks hanging on penetrators and doing shorthauls. Usually what happens if you see a helo performing some daring rescue - the volunteer SAR team's incident coordination staff called the necessary people to get the helicopter to respond, and the helicopter showed up with the people who know how to use the helicopter's resources to perform the daring rescue.

Note that I'm speaking in generalizations, not absolutes. There are exceptions to every rule.

Of course, if you're the victim you don't really care who's doing what, just that it's getting done - and that's the important thing.
mkrier wrote:2. Could someone explain to me what is a "mechanical uphaul" technique?
This is just using ropes and pulleys to create a mechanical advantage for lifting weight - 2:1 or 3:1 are common and simple, though higher ratios (more "advantage") can be obtained through rigging more advanced systems. Basically, a mechanical advantage system lets you lift a weight while only needing the effort of lifting a certain percentage of the weight - for example, a 3:1 MA system means it only feels like you're lifting 1/3rd of the weight. The trade off using an MA system is that to lift a weight 1 foot, you have to pull X feet of rope through the system - where X is whatever the mechanical advantage is - 3:1 = 3 feet, 4:1 = 4 feet, etc.

In summary: a MA system lets you use less force to lift a weight, at the cost of having to pull more rope.

I would guess that this particular scenario went something like this: MRA set up an anchor and a mechanical advantage uphaul system connected to it, then a rescuer with a spare harness either rappelled down to her or was lowered to her on the same system, put the harness on her, then both she and the rescuer were pulled up the slope using the uphaul system (perhaps together or perhaps independently).
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Doug Shaw wrote:
nsaladin wrote:I picture it like this: SAR members have these pagers like in the 1990 Film "Navy Seals" featuring Tom Cruise. They get a page and they all hop in a truck and head to the heli-pad.... High hopes lol.
Volunteer SAR in Colorado: pagers - yes. Everybody heads for the helo - no. Everybody heads for a staging point, then if there is a helo a select set of people may get to ride it. There are exceptions, but you're not generally going to see volunteer SAR folks hanging on penetrators and doing shorthauls. Usually what happens if you see a helo performing some daring rescue - the volunteer SAR team's incident coordination staff called the necessary people to get the helicopter to respond, and the helicopter showed up with the people who know how to use the helicopter's resources to perform the daring rescue.

Note that I'm speaking in generalizations, not absolutes. There are exceptions to every rule.

Of course, if you're the victim you don't really care who's doing what, just that it's getting done - and that's the important thing.
mkrier wrote:2. Could someone explain to me what is a "mechanical uphaul" technique?
This is just using ropes and pulleys to create a mechanical advantage for lifting weight - 2:1 or 3:1 are common and simple, though higher ratios (more "advantage") can be obtained through rigging more advanced systems. Basically, a mechanical advantage system lets you lift a weight while only needing the effort of lifting a certain percentage of the weight - for example, a 3:1 MA system means it only feels like you're lifting 1/3rd of the weight. The trade off using an MA system is that to lift a weight 1 foot, you have to pull X feet of rope through the system - where X is whatever the mechanical advantage is - 3:1 = 3 feet, 4:1 = 4 feet, etc.

In summary: a MA system lets you use less force to lift a weight, at the cost of having to pull more rope.

I would guess that this particular scenario went something like this: MRA set up an anchor and a mechanical advantage uphaul system connected to it, then a rescuer with a spare harness either rappelled down to her or was lowered to her on the same system, put the harness on her, then both she and the rescuer were pulled up the slope using the uphaul system (perhaps together or perhaps independently).
@mkrier As Rickinco123 & Doug say above we used a "Simple" 3:1 Z-rig that night using a Mini Traxion as the progress capture. Single subject lift, 2 pullers, 1 reset, 1 rescue climber over the edge. Single Subject Uphaul. Rescuer Upclimbed "On Belay". We solve for the lowest mechanical advantage we can use as it puts a lesser amount of tension on the anchor and maximizes the "rope" travel which equals less time on the anchor. All of which suck up there BTW. Here is a video link that explains some of the rigs and how they work. There are lots of brilliant people on this site but feel free to PM me if you have additional questions. Hope you have your question answered
Last edited by Rock-a-Fella on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

So great to see good news in such a situation, and amen to the SAR kudos. That photo of the stranded climber's location is Frappieresque.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Somehow the news reports seem to have things straight this time: "The two ladies had completed the Bells Traverse from south to north, then got off-route on their descent."

These extremely fit ladies have nearly completed all the 14'ers. They had knocked off Pyramid, Castle & Conundrum in the three days prior, always starting around 4am to reduce weather risk.