Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Post by ezabielski »

A lot of talk about the rail spikes. You don't have to use either of them to pass through that area, up or down, if you're worried about them. Helps to be taller though,
krazykat
Trip Reports (0)

Post by krazykat »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article820697.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the fallen climber. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Sounds like he was up there way early, which shows he wasn't totally clueless. I've scaled some stupid s**t when I was younger, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident. Just seems like a bad decision alongside some bad luck. Could've happened to a lot of us here at one point or another.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

ChrisRoberts wrote:
James Dziezynski wrote:It's heartbreaking. I preach the message to anyone who will listen that Longs is no joke, despite the popularity -- for that matter, any class 3 peak should be treated with serious respect. I can't tell you how many times people express an interest in hiking Longs as their first 14er. Unless they already have some mountain time under their belts, I'll do my best to talk them out of it.

RIP
Agreed. Longs is having quite a year, maybe these recent accidents can remind people that just because the number of deaths on the peak is low relative to the number of attempts it sees, that peak is still one of the most dangerous in Colorado and deserves respect.
+1 to both comments
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Has the number of fatal accidents been higher than normal this year--it seems like it is--or has it stayed relatively normal and I'm just hearing about it more often?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There have been two fatal accidents on Longs this year, which is not unusual. There have been other stories (lightning on Trail Ridge, climber stuck on Broadway) that might make it seem worse than usual, but RMNP always gets lots of search and rescue events - over 200 per year.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

Some years are worse than others for climbing fatalities. Every climber feels for those who are lost. They are our comrades, our brothers and sisters, and they have loved what we have loved. Any loss of life, any injury is terrible, but I don't think this has been a particularly bad year in terms of numbers. Part of that is because this climbing season has been shortened for many of us by snow lingering late into the summer, and lately, a persistent monsoon pattern. For those of you who are new to climbing, and don't remember it, 2010, on the other hand, was an awful year:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16283929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Urban Snowshoer wrote:Has the number of fatal accidents been higher than normal this year--it seems like it is--or has it stayed relatively normal and I'm just hearing about it more often?
No, I think this year is pretty average, far fewer than the spike in 2010...

I do like the idea of a 'no accidents since' sign at the TH, would be a nice addition perhaps.

I also am not sure why the Keyhole is the standard route. I did the Loft and downclimbed Keyhole and I think the Loft has far fewer hazards. Maybe that was just my perception.
Dobbins
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

mattpayne11 wrote:
Urban Snowshoer wrote: No, I think this year is pretty average, far fewer than the spike in 2010...
Far fewer? 3 people died in 2010. So far this year 2 people have died and its only July. I don't know that I would say that one less is far fewer. Three people also died in 2009, so I don't know that I would call it a spike, either.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Dobbins wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:
Urban Snowshoer wrote: No, I think this year is pretty average, far fewer than the spike in 2010...
Far fewer? 3 people died in 2010. So far this year 2 people have died and its only July. I don't know that I would say that one less is far fewer. Three people also died in 2009, so I don't know that I would call it a spike, either.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the total number of fatalities in Colorado, not just on Longs.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Yeah, sorry... total deaths, not just Longs.