Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Post by Mike Shepherd »

I'm wondering when that bar is going to rust completely through. Hopefully whoever applies the critical load to cause failure has solid hand holds.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
Dobbins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

Mike Shepherd wrote:I'm wondering when that bar is going to rust completely through. Hopefully whoever applies the critical load to cause failure has solid hand holds.
There are two bars, and one of them has already been reinforced with some sort of quickcrete or other material...and its cracking.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Dobbins wrote:[quote="ameristrat"}

I remember seeing tons of people in the congo line up to the keyhole in jeans and sneakers - some without backpacks or water! Many of these people were gassed and/or turned around before the keyhole. I bet at least 1/3 of the people on the trail with me did this.
One of the busiest 14ers and subsequently, biggest failure rate. I've always wondered how many really make it. Climbed Longs 3X and each time there were a ton of people just starting the boulder field around noon with rumbling thunderheads above.

Apparently the press is reporting it was an 18 year old from Kansas, which may explain the lack of experience or familiarity with the area. Article said, climbers first saw his body around 10:15 am, so it seems he had an early enough start to avoid bad weather.
ChrisRoberts
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

James Dziezynski wrote:It's heartbreaking. I preach the message to anyone who will listen that Longs is no joke, despite the popularity -- for that matter, any class 3 peak should be treated with serious respect. I can't tell you how many times people express an interest in hiking Longs as their first 14er. Unless they already have some mountain time under their belts, I'll do my best to talk them out of it.

RIP
Agreed. Longs is having quite a year, maybe these recent accidents can remind people that just because the number of deaths on the peak is low relative to the number of attempts it sees, that peak is still one of the most dangerous in Colorado and deserves respect.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26231 ... er-climber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dobbins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/lo ... /13295263/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like the guy they are looking for had a rough night but a happier ending.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

ChrisRoberts wrote:maybe these recent accidents can remind people that just because the number of deaths on the peak is low relative to the number of attempts it sees, that peak is still one of the most dangerous in Colorado and deserves respect.
I wonder if they've ever considered putting up a "Days without Accident" sign at the trailhead?

Seriously.

I don't mean that to be glib or insensitive, but I just wonder about that as another reminder that "hey, this isn't a joke." I wonder if an in-your-face sign to remind people that "someone died yesterday doing exactly what you're planning to do today" would hit people with a little more reality than they're getting now.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

A lot of SARs are successful and hope he is one.

A possble effect is that after a set of accidents on Whitney and Half Dome, the rangers decided to institute a permit system to control crowds. Crowds were becomeing a hazard in themsleves on Half Dome, but I dont think on Whitney or Longs (yet).
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

James Dziezynski wrote:It's heartbreaking. I preach the message to anyone who will listen that Longs is no joke, despite the popularity -- for that matter, any class 3 peak should be treated with serious respect. I can't tell you how many times people express an interest in hiking Longs as their first 14er. Unless they already have some mountain time under their belts, I'll do my best to talk them out of it.

RIP

Agree. Longs is a summit you graduate to; not a beginners playground. There are multiple opportunities for a mishap on even the easiest route. It has the misfortune of being quite close to Estes and having a paved road all the way to the lot. I would never take a newbie up there.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
matthewbe
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewbe »

I heard a heli around that time and was hoping this was not the case. Sincere condolences to the family. RIP fellow climber.
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Coloradoan story about the latest incident had a link to this in-depth story about Longs Peak fatalities in general, and the Matthew Burklow accident in June in particular. Very well done, I think.
http://www.coloradoan.com/longform/news ... /11379673/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Hungry Jack
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Mike Shepherd wrote:I'm wondering when that bar is going to rust completely through. Hopefully whoever applies the critical load to cause failure has solid hand holds.

Anyone have a picture of this thing?
please rotate your device