Glissading Accident, RMNP, Rescue in Progress

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Glissading Accident, RMNP, Rescue in Progress

Post by flyingmagpie »

I was checking the RMNP Facebook page for further information about the fatality on Longs on July 25 (no further info was available) and I ran across this, posted 14 hours ago:

Another incident in RMNP today...

Incident Above Loomis Lake In Rocky Mountain National Park
This afternoon, park rangers were contacted via cell phone by a 31-year-old man who indicated he had fallen an unknown distance while glissading down Gabletop Mountain, which is above Loomis Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. He reported numerous injuries.
The US Forest Service Northern Colorado hel...icopter used earlier for the body recovery from Longs Peak was utilized for aerial reconnaissance. Using cell phone GPS coordinates, rangers were able to determine his general location below Gabletop Mountain and aerial surveillance confirmed his exact location.
Since the initial call, park rangers have been in contact with the man periodically through the night via cell phone.
The man is located in a remote high alpine environment in a steep cirque above Loomis Lake approximately 11,300 feet. Loomis Lake is southwest of Spruce Lake. Tonight, before night fall, a team of four park rangers were flown to Loomis Lake. Equipment was also flown into the general area. These flights occurred in between severe thunderstorms.
The man began to descend steep snow slopes toward Loomis Lake, which is helping rangers have a better chance of reaching and assisting him tonight. No further information is available at this time. An update will be sent out tomorrow morning by 10:00 a.m. with any new information.
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Glissading Accident, RMNP, Rescue in Progress

Post by Jim Davies »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26221 ... ional-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump