Capitol Peak Overdue Climber: Have you seen?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Capitol Peak Overdue Climber: Have you seen?

Post by SoCool »

Just want to take the opportunity to give one more big thanks to SAR for their work on this and everything else. (And thanks to all SAR's everywhere.)
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Sad news. Thoughts with the fallen climber's friends and family, and thanks to MRA for mounting up once again.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
JDG7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JDG7 »

So sad to hear. Was praying there would have been a miracle. RIP brother.

Thank you again, SAR, for all your dedication & hard work.

Tough day.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Not the ending I was hoping for. Wishing his friends and family peace during this difficult time. Thank you, Mountain Rescue Aspen, for your hard work and professionalism.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Sad news. To answer an earlier question, if you start at the Snowmass Creek TH you can head up the West fork to Moon Lake then under Mt Daly to Capital. I've done this before as it makes a nice loop with Snowmass. He may have been using this route to/from Capital, though purely speculation.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

steelfrog wrote:Dangit.

Sorry to see this.

I haven't been to Capitol--why would his body be at Mt. Daly? Could a fall end you up there?
It's very likely the article is factually incorrect.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Very sorry to hear of this tragedy. My prayers and thoughts are with the climber's family and friends.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

steelfrog wrote:I haven't been to Capitol--why would his body be at Mt. Daly? Could a fall end you up there?
The article just says he was found in the "Mt Daly Basin" above Moon Lake.
the body of the 53-year-old man was found about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Mount Daly Basin, above Moon Lake, at about 11,000 feet in elevation,
They also probably meant 12,000' elevation as Moon Lake is at 11,750'.

So sad to hear. My condolences to his family.
Attachments
8-6-2014 4-06-48 PM.jpg
8-6-2014 4-06-48 PM.jpg (261.67 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Praying for his family - very sad news.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

God rest his soul. God bless his family.
please rotate your device
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Hard Rock just posted that Jim Nelson was a 6 time Hard Rock finisher (I met him at an aid station) and Nolan's 14er finisher. Prayers for his family! SJ Ron :(
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

San Juan Ron wrote:Hard Rock just posted that Jim Nelson was a 6 time Hard Rock finisher (I met him at an aid station) and Nolan's 14er finisher. Prayers for his family! SJ Ron :(
Apparently, he is also one of only 14 runners to have ever come in under the 60hr cutoff for 100 mile Barkley's Marathon race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;