North Maroon Heli Rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jrock
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North Maroon Heli Rescue

Post by jrock »

Tortoise1 wrote:I hope there's not two people - hunters and hikers don't usually look alike.
Hi everyone - my husband and I were part of the reporting party. We came across the injured man before daylight, so it was tough to see anything. He was in such bad shape that we did a quick assessment with those who were also there (two other groups of 2 each were there about 5 minutes before we were) and decided that we would go down to get more help while others stayed to attend to him. We didn't know he was a hunter until later. There was a lot of blood and it was hard to be in the situation as the man was so badly hurt, moaning, and was partially obscured by a large boulder from our vantage point. But, I'd like to share that when we were talking to SAR and sharing about details on where to find him, SAR suggested that we should have taken pictures. While this would have been uncomfortable to do, it really helps SAR to immediately see and better evaluate the situation. Please remember this if anyone is ever in that situation (hope no one is). If the others we met along the way are on this site, I'd like to thank them for their help, too. There were a lot of selfless people abandoning their summit attempt this day to help a stranger.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Thank you for your selfless act in helping a stranger, jrock. I see that you have two peaks remaining to finish the 14ers, the Maroon Bells. I'm sorry for what you witnessed, and I hope to soon see a finisher thread for you ! Thank you for the SAR tip also about photographing the scene. I would have never thought of that either.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Hypersnow
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hypersnow »

I believe the introduction occurred in the 1940s in the Salida area. There is some evidence they were here in the 19th century and the issue has been debated. One of the concerns is that they displace bighorns.

Dave[/quote]

I was going off info obtained from CPW. Both CPW and the national park system maintain that goats are a non-native species, introduced in the 50's/60's (thanks for the date correction). I was told in the Mt Evans area was the original transplant location, and the goats did not travel to Colorado naturally, due to the low areas of southern Wyoming.

Either way, tragic accident. Condolences to friends/family.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Hypersnow wrote:I believe the introduction occurred in the 1940s in the Salida area. There is some evidence they were here in the 19th century and the issue has been debated. One of the concerns is that they displace bighorns.

Dave
I was going off info obtained from CPW. Both CPW and the national park system maintain that goats are a non-native species, introduced in the 50's/60's (thanks for the date correction). I was told in the Mt Evans area was the original transplant location, and the goats did not travel to Colorado naturally, due to the low areas of southern Wyoming.

Either way, tragic accident. Condolences to friends/family.[/quote]

I'm reluctant to side track this tragic thread, but everyone who has an interest in goats should find this article fascinating and informative: http://cozine.com/2002-september/do-mou ... long-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

This was a legitimate hunt and this guy deserves credit for pursuing a true hunt. I thought we were in bow season, although I'm sure about goats. The guy who took the bull moose at Brainard Lake the other day, however, gets no respect from me- total travesty.
Condolences to the hunter's family.
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. I'm sorry you're seeing some of these other comments.

To jrock and the others who were there. I know this is a tough thing to go through. The world changes in an instant. The summit becomes insignificant. You do what you can. You cry for someone you didn't know.

On Sept 15, 2012 I saw Derek Kelley fall on North Maroon. The world is different now. He left behind a young family. I didn't know Derek but got to see pictures of him enjoying the mountains on this site.

Please realize this person also left behind loved ones who are devastated. Some of his friends are probably active on this site. Some of his family & friends could be looking at this site hoping to connect with witnesses and ask questions. So please be respectful with your comments.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Forty-two-year-old Theodore James Leach of Littleton, Colorado

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2 ... /15283667/
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

My condolences to the family and friends of the hunter.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Stereo311
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stereo311 »

My friend and I were there and did the best we could to help. I wish the best for his friends, family, and all the loved ones he left behind.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

jrock wrote:But, I'd like to share that when we were talking to SAR and sharing about details on where to find him, SAR suggested that we should have taken pictures.
Jrock, thanks for helping in a tough situation, and thanks for sharing the SAR tip about photos. I just took the WFA course and they have not added that suggestion into the aid process yet. The accident scene does not sound easy to deal with. Kudos for doing what you could.

My condolences to the family.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

They don't say how many but "only a handful of permits" every year. A few days ago I ran into a hunter with a permit headed up Herman Gulch. He was from southern CO and had finally gotten a permit after 16 years in the lottery - quite excited about it. According to Wikipedia they are more closely related to antelope and cattle than to goats. RIP.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

What a terrible tragedy. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney