Fall on Capitol

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Fall on Capitol

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Get well soon Justin. Glad you are going to be ok. Let us know how we can help.
Century Bound, eventually.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

A photo of the evacuation yesterday for proof of my story. I'm in green and Justin is in Red.

AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

nkan02 wrote:Yikes. Can anyone provide more detail as to what might have triggered the rock collapse? Were you guys going up and over K2 or traversing the side of it? The fall in that section is particularly dangerous with so much exposure. So glad Justin is going to make a full recovery!
Freezing/thawing cycles are my best guess. ie rotten rock.
I was climbing with him when he fell- we were descending K2- the north traverse is covered in snow and ice. Witnesses from below said that a whole chunk of that short technical section came off with Justin on it- I was maybe 10 feet below him so I heard the rock come off but had just turned back around from facing in to facing out so didn't see the rock detach from the peak. It was a very scary fall and as such an extraordinary relief that he survived.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Hoping and praying for a full and speedy recovery for you, Justin.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

My thoughts are with you Justin! Hoping for a full recovery and glad it wasn't worse.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

A fundraiser with more details about the accident

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundra ... und/234262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The website youcaring.com is a 100% free website, with no fees, and i have it linked to a paypal account for Justin.

If anyone who wants to help Justin out financially would rather send a check directly, please PM me for information.

-Ted
kevnsmth
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kevnsmth »

I was standing above watching as I was to be downclimbing this section soon after Justin. Upon turning and facing in, the whole wall began moving. It was just really bad luck. Anyone who has gone up and over K2 has been on this wall, and other climbers had downclimbed it just minutes before.
kevnsmth
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kevnsmth »

Michael J wrote:I would have to disagree about going around the south side of K2. It would certainly be more exciting because when you round the corner to the west side there is a sheer cliff with a 1,000 foot drop off.
I should have clarified. After the accident, a partner and I as well as one of Justin's partners were able to get off K2 by going to the south and avoiding the section in question.
broncotw
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

WOW! That really hits home as we were just there approximately 5 weeks ago.... Prayers to Justin for a fast and full recovery......
Ted from TEXAS!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Ouch, get well soon. Sounds like a case of wrong place at the wrong time. I wish you a quick recovery.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

AnnaG22 wrote:
nkan02 wrote:Yikes. Can anyone provide more detail as to what might have triggered the rock collapse? Were you guys going up and over K2 or traversing the side of it? The fall in that section is particularly dangerous with so much exposure. So glad Justin is going to make a full recovery!
Freezing/thawing cycles are my best guess. ie rotten rock.
I was climbing with him when he fell- we were descending K2- the north traverse is covered in snow and ice. Witnesses from below said that a whole chunk of that short technical section came off with Justin on it- I was maybe 10 feet below him so I heard the rock come off but had just turned back around from facing in to facing out so didn't see the rock detach from the peak. It was a very scary fall and as such an extraordinary relief that he survived.
Geologic Time is Now. I try not to think about this when I'm on a pitch that could go, but it's a real possibility at any point.

Wishing Justin a speedy and full recovery!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Wow, I can't imagine what went through his head as all of that was happening! Glad to hear that he will be alright!
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson