Fall on Capitol

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fall on Capitol

Post by onebyone »

So glad you came through that! Just plain bad luck and it is a good reminder that anything can happen to anyone in the mountains and it would behoove us not to be judgmental of others' accidents. Anyway, you are alive and I am psyched to hear it!!!
mcquentin
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mcquentin »

I was on that rock on Saturday. My return was exactly as DanielL described his. I feel for Justin. Bad luck certainly. A good reminder to all of us that we are not always in control when we mitigate the risks. Glad he had climbing partners. Glad I had climbing partners. Get well soon Justin.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I just wanted to put a post up for anyone concerned with Justin.

He's still recovering and is doing as well as he can at this point. The good news from a doctor's visit yesterday is that he won't need a skin graft, but he will defiantly need a bone graft on his left arm. His arm was shattered above the wrist, and apparently he left some of the fragments in the area where the fall took place. He still only has the use of three fingers in his right hand (pinky, ring, and middle), but his hand is healing up well. His head required a number of stitches, and is also doing well, and his legs are still doing well (only minor injuries to his legs, mostly bruising and small cuts). Whats most important right now is that he lets his body do the healing and control the swelling and pain with ice and meds.

The fundraiser was a fantastic success and i wanted to thank everyone that donated money to Justin. I see this place as a community and I can tell you that next time someone else is in need, Justin and I will be there to support them the best we can as a part of the community.

-Ted
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Glad to hear it that he's not in critical condition, and that the fundraiser went well!
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

Hi.

As you may have read, I was also injured on a 14er, two days before Hobbes301. I believe it was the same HAATS crew that perform both rescues back-to-back.

That thread is here: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have nominated the crew for Feinberg Award from American Helicopter Society (AHS), which is "presented to the vertical flight aircraft pilot or crew who demonstrated outstanding skills or achievement during the preceding calendar year." This was suggested to me by an AHS member who has served on the award committee.

If anyone is interested in writing an endorsement for the nomination, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send over the information that you need. It probably doesn't need to be more than a few words, but is just one small way to show our appreciation for the missions HAATS undertakes on our behalf.

You can read more about the award here. http://vtol.org/awards-and-contests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The key is that the deadline for endorsements is tomorrow, Feb 9!

I have PM'ed Justin and Kevin, but wanted to open it up to anyone else who might wish to express their gratitude.