Hikers Missing Since Wednesday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Hikers Missing Since Wednesday

Post by JROSKA »

khuff6ft6 wrote:Does anyone know the background of these two guys experience above tree line? The latest article posted on this thread made it seem as though this was the fallen's second hike of 2014.
Tough to tell for sure, but that article sort of lends the appearance that the experience level was on the low side. He moved here a year ago.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Revisiting the traverse this year, I was amazed how long it took my experienced team to find the right lines down North Maroon (and we actually didn't find the right lines, but were carrying a rope and rappelled some shortcuts to save time in the second gully). I know that when I've done North Maroon by itself, it's much easier to navigate the descent, as opposed to the traverse. Same with the Crestone Traverse -- coming down the Needle as a single endeavor after climbing it is not too bad but getting the correct line after the traverse is quite tricky, especially if you've never been on the Needle.

Really sad to read the article about Jerod, he sounds like a great guy. Plus it hits home a little, since we were both New England guys originally and the same age. Good thoughts to his family, friends and pups... and here's to a quick recovery and graceful healing for David.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

@ James Having done both the Maroon Bell and Crestone traverses, I totally agree with your assessment. Descending something you've never climbed is weird. I always say to my partner , don't get "sucked down," meaning that you can descend the wrong way really fast and then you're very reluctant to up climb again to get it right. Ascending is typically slow going, so you're a lot more focused on route finding. The Little Bear- Blanca traverse was technically more difficult, but psychologically much easier because you can clearly see the route in front of you. Just my 2 cents though.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Thanks for the 2 cents. Down climbing after a committing traverse, to me, is the crux of a trip. I quickly learned on a mountain much easier than the bells, how I'm important route finding is when you think your day is wrapping up.

I will respectively remember the lost climber when I see north maroon for myself next season.

Also hope to get the survivors story of how they split up, the weather conditions, etc. People will still climb the bells and this could help prevent future ones.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal