Hikers Missing Since Wednesday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Hikers Missing Since Wednesday

Post by semitrueskerm »

:(
mcmanusj84
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj84 »

From the 7 News article, one of them was found in Bell Cord, the other in the Rock Glacier area of N. Maroon. Curious how they got that far apart from eachother
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

A sad day in the mountains. The two climbers have been identified.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/164180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rocky
south fork, colorado
wrxpilot
14ers: 11 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wrxpilot »

Dang it. Very sorry to hear this.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

RIP to the fallen climber, and thoughts out to his partner for peace through this horrible time.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
tomcat67
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tomcat67 »

bummer. was hoping it was just a bad weather bivy. RIP
jmanner
14ers: 58  29  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Hoping for a speedy physical and mental recovery for the surviving climber. I am sorry for the fallen climbers family, I can hope they find some solace that he/she died doing something they loved.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

One of them, at least, seems to be a member: drhikerman. Although they may just share the name...

I wish the survivor a speedy recovery and condolences to the family of the other.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
saxlover
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

highpilgrim wrote:One of them, at least, seems to be a member: drhikerman. Although they may just share the name...

I wish the survivor a speedy recovery and condolences to the family of the other.
likely different person. david richardson, the one here posted here that he was 55, in 2012.
drhikerman wrote:Longs with my daughter 2012-08-29 16:39:19
I took my daughter (26 and extremely fit) up Longs on July 28th. I've been on the Keyhole route four times and Clark's Arrow once. Longs gets in my head. I'm 55 and in very good shape. I swim year round to keep me going in the high country. I hike, a little class 3 and snowshoe. We left Ft. Collins at 1:00 a.m. and were hiking at 2:30 a.m. with headlamps. This is how I always do Longs. A straight shot from the trailhead to the summit. The trick is to get a days rest before taking on Longs. Didn't happen this year and I paid dearly for it. I worked all week, drove from Littleton to Ft. Collins on Friday afternoon. Got a couple of hours sleep. Most nervous energy going on the drive to trailhead. Off we go. I've done this route in 11 hours a coule of times and that was my goal. Ha. 13 1/2 hours roundtrip. I kept up with my daughter for the most part. When she got her first look at the west side of Longs all she said was ”you go first.” When we got to the steep part of the Trough and the Homestretch she smoked me. Big time. Now I'm the second best hiker in the family. I'm good with that. Next year I'm going to take the Clark's Arrow route with my daughter.
Thanks,
David Richardson
Andrew Tobin
jenkscolin
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jenkscolin »

Rest In Peace to the fallen climber. This is such tragic news and I hope his climbing partner, friends, and family can find peace in this devastating time. I did not know the climber personally but have always liked this quote in times of sadness:

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand. ~Irish Blessing

If anyone who knew the fallen climber is reading this please know that this entire 14ers.com community, whether we knew the climber or not, mourns for your loss.
The smaller we come to feel ourselves compared with the mountain, the nearer we come to participating in its greatness - Arne Naess
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Prayers for comfort and strength for the family and friends of the fallen climber -- may he rest in peace. And prayers for a full and quick recovery for the surviving climber.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
JenGa
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

I'm so sorry to read this news. My thoughts are with the families of both.